dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
dan gold 6P 1ba qWDI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why You Need To Date a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The term “feminist” can often times have an extremely negative connotation attached to it.  Some people associate feminists as being “man haters”.  However, in researching the platforms of many feminists movements, it is obvious feminists are anything but man haters, and on the contrary, are just as equally supportive of male equality as they are female equality.  Also contrary to the typical stereotype, feminists do not solely include women, and there has been a gaining widespread support of feminism by all genders, races, and sexualities.  Emma Watson’s HeforShe campaign fully supports this statement, as many male and female celebrities have shown approval and support of her feminist movement.  So, why is it beneficial for both men (and women) to date feminists?    

They will support your dreams

Your significant other will never tell you that you cannot do anything.  In contrast, they will support your dreams and aspirations to the fullest.  Feminists believe that regardless of gender stereotypes, men and women can have the potential of succeeding at any career or personal goal through hard work, perseverance, and determination.  Your significant other will help promote and celebrate your successes with you, and will never tell you that you cannot do something.  This never ending support and lack of judgment is vital in relationships, and will help increase the potential longevity of this relationship. 

They will never reduce you to your gender stereotype

Similarly, your significant other will never reduce you to a stereotype that is societally imposed on you.  Maybe you’re a woman and you’re just not good at cleaning; maybe you’re a man and you have absolutely no idea about how to fix a car.  The beauty of feminists is that they do not expect you to conform to any sort of preconceived image that society expects someone to have. 

They support independence

Just like your feminist significant other will support your dreams, they will also understand that there will come a time in which you have to embark on your dreams on your own.  This can be as simple as being self-sufficient in your every day life and go so far as to say that they will support your dream to backpack through South America for a year.  Whatever the situation may be, your feminist significant other will know that you can and you will want to do things for yourself, and that letting you be free to do so will not hold any negative effects on your relationship.  They understand that your independence is a sexy trait, not something to be misconstrued as a negative. 

You know they will be a fair partner

Probably the most important quality in a feminist partner is knowing that the individual you are dating is a fair individual.  Their support for gender equality will mean probably mean that they are also accepting of all genders, sexualities, races, socioeconomic statuses, and cultures, which is an awesome thing!  This means that your partner has a fair understanding of what is “right” and what is “wrong” and will passionately support the things that they truly believe in.  

I hope you find someone who loves you for you, and doesn’t care what society has to say about it.  We all deserve someone like that, so don’t settle for anything less.  

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5