Why Gus Gus Should be Your Spirit Animal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

That dreaded question: an interesting fact about you. The stumper in everyone’s classic Notre Dame introduction, the question that rattles and gives pause to even the most articulate of Notre Dame’s greatest minds! There I sat faced with the daunting question, as person after person recited their surprising or funny information. All too soon the spotlight turned to me but my brain was complete mush!

Hello my name is Mercedes de la Rosa but everyone calls me Mercy, I’m an English major with minors in Peace Studies and Social Work” came out sweeter than pumpkin pie. Then to steal from Cady in Mean Girls, a word vomit moment. Before I could even think the words “and my fun fact is that Gus Gus from Cinderella is my spirit animal” were out of my mouth.

Luckily for me, the class exploded in laughter. Mostly relieved at this point, I’ve had some time to reflect and in the end, I stand by my statement. Octavius, or Gus Gus as he is known to his adoring fans, is a simple mouse new to Cinderella’s household at the beginning of the classic Disney version. Throughout the movie, he displays characteristics that should be exemplary to us all.

Kindness

First and foremost is he is amazingly kind. He volunteers for missions like fetching the trimmings, despite his lack of knowledge of where said trimmings would be found. When he blows out that candle he kindly and enthusiastically shouts “Happy Birthday!”. How sweet is that? 

Fighter

Second and a true defining feature of Gus Gus is he’s a fighter. He knows who he is and he’s a tough little guy. At his first meeting he comes out swinging. He knows that while being kind is important, so is standing up for yourself. Whether it be to tell that hen whose cheese that is or showing the cat who’s boss, Gus Gus is not afraid to put his small foot down. More importantly, Gus Gus fights for others even wanting to stand up to the evil stepmother when she locks away Cinderella. No one’s about to lock away his Cinderelly and get away with it! So though he might be the best at picking his fights, his courage and big heart are certainly to be admired and exemplified. 

Foodie

Third, Gus Gus is a mouse after my own heart, he loves food. To be specific, he loves cheese and knows that just like those fresh baked cookies in South during lunch sometimes it’s totally acceptable to take more than one. Though Gus Gus knows the importance of priorites and drops those hard one slabs of crumbs when fleeing from the cat Lucifer, as Notre Dame Students are often forced to do when chased by those pesky squirrels of a similar nature.

Remember you have to survive to change the world, drop that cookie and run girl!

Confidence

Finally, Gus Gus has superb body confidence. Sure his shirt doesn’t fit him the same way that it fits the other mice, but he ends up rocking it. Work that crop top, Gus Gus! He is unapologetically himself and even when laughed at manages to smile and laugh along. Gus Gus knows he’s different, but he still loves himself.

So while Gus Gus may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, there’s plenty to love about him. He exemplifies the importance of being kind, brave, and loving. He knows that you can love yourself and food. So really is it any question that Gus Gus should be your spirit animal? I mean why isn’t he already?

Go re-live your memories and watch the DeBartolo Perfoming Arts Center: Disney Classics Film Series! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!.

Images: 1, 2, , 4

Down in El Paso there lived a little girl who dreamed of the snow. She got to ND and now dreams of the sun.