Why do Notre Dame students hate the word Moreau?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Moreau. The word itself causes multiple Notre Dame freshmen to cringe on instinct. Moreau is the most hated word on campus amongst the class of 2019. For those of you lucky enough to have dodged this bullet, allow me to explain what Moreau is. Moreau used to be a beloved word at the University of Notre Dame because that is the name of our founder. However, the word now has a negative connotation. It is a brand new course that has replaced the gym requirement where we discuss topics such as “how to make friends” and that “exercising is good for you.” Although there is so much outward hatred towards Moreau, 24% of people who responded to an online survey commented that they enjoyed the course. To allow students to speak for themselves here are a few of the best responses to the survey.

“The work for the class wastes valuable time that could be spent doing work for my more rigorous classes. I really dislike doing busy work without a purpose.”

“There have been very few prompts that have taught me anything. It is a repeat of a lot of information I’ve already learned in life, and I’d rather take a course learning new information or life skills.”

“This class has made no difference for my life at Notre Dame. I, along with everyone I’ve spoken t,o would much rather take a gym class.”

“It’s a ridiculous amount of work for a one credit class. Get rid of the weekly prompts and have only the 2 prompt integrations and everyone would enjoy the class much more.”

“This course treats the students of Notre Dame like immature teenagers rather than recognizing that we are responsible adults.”

“if we are to go through Moreau again second semester I believe it is counter productive to switch up the classes as most people have only recently become comfortable with their Moreau group. “

“It feels like a 2nd-grade course.”

“It’s extremely contradictory. Let’s give freshmen a class to teach them how to manage the heavy workload while giving them more work. Let’s teach them how to be healthy while taking away mandatory physical education. I have a great professor for it but even she agrees. The class makes absolutely no sense.”

Not all responses were negative.

“It’s easy and I like hearing what my classmates have to say.”

“My class group is filled with amazing people who I wouldn’t have met otherwise. They give great arguments and actually participate in discussion.”

This class is clearly not the most popular on campus. Administration is currently working to address these issues but students want change now. In my opinion, the course has potential but it has been poorly designed. When the majority of the student body detests a mandatory university requirement something is wrong. I enjoy meeting new classmates and having conversations but the topics of need to change as well as the workload. I also have amazing teachers who provide excellent insight to the university. Bringing more relevant information into the course will provide students with much more respect for the class. If administration listens to these student’s complaints Moreau can gain a much better reputation.  

How do you feel about Moreau? Let us know!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Image 1, 2

Sierra Mayhew is a rising freshman at the University of Notre Dame studying Film, Television and Theatre (concentration in Television) with a minor in Journalism. She is a guitarist and music enthusiast.  Follow her on instagram @sierra_mayhew.