Why Cinderella Can Be Remade Five Times and You Still Want to See It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Why is it that a sequel can be made of a movie and it’s already “old,” yet Cinderella can be remade five times, and people will go see it and love it? I guess you could say everyone likes a “happily-ever-after.” But Cinderella in particular…why do we all love her story so much? We all know it’s magic that gets Cinderella to the ball, yes, but look a little deeper, and you’ll see that it’s not all Disney magic that changes Cinderella’s life around. Just scan through the remakes, and you’re sure to see some words of wisdom that don’t just apply to a girl who lives in the attic and sleeps by the fireplace.

The Original: Cinderella

In this classic we all adored as toddlers, it basically was all Disney magic changing Cinderella’s fate. Also she was stunning and sweet, so what prince couldn’t fall in love with her?

The Pre-Original: The Hans Christian Andersen version

No Disney magic here! Cinderella did try to change her situation with the evil stepmother in the very original story. In fact, before the tale was “Disney”-ized, Cinderella kills her first stepmother to try to get her dad to marry the housekeeper. There’s still the fairy godmother that comes in later, but based on this there’s reason to question if we should pity the girl in the cellars plotting against a new family member!

Remake #1: A Cinderella Story

Fresh out of filming Lizzie McGuire, playing the All-American teenage girl with her cartoon thought bubbles and boy troubles and class trips, Hillary Duff plays the perfect just-your-average-girl part for Cinderella in the modern day twist. In this version, princes have transformed into football players, royal balls are replaced by proms, royalty is depicted as the posh Beverly Hills life, and the mocking nickname people have for her is not “Cinder”ella but rather “Diner Girl.”

Amidst mean stepsisters and cruel classmates, our modern-day Cinderella remembers the profound encouragement her dad gave her as a little girl: “Never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” And so, she doesn’t let the criticism of her stepmother or the cattiness of her peers get her down; instead, she chases the dreams she has, like dating the football star. And who better to play the high school hottie than Chad Michael Murray?

Remake #2: Another Cinderella Story

Starring Selena Gomez, this Cinderella twist is more Step Up-esque, with talent being the factor that saves Cinderella (aka Mary in this flick) from living the invisible life. Teased mercilessly by her adoptive sisters and the girls at her school Mary’s lives the same old story, and it isn’t till she tries out as a dancer in a pop star’s music video that her dancing talent shines through and makes people- and said pop star cutie- notice her. 

Remake #3: Cinderella (2015)

At last, we return to the classics. Just as style has gone vintage, so has the era Cinderella is set in. Yet somehow it’s message is still so relevant. In this version, Cinderella’s mother is dying of illness, and while on her death bed, she tells her daughter Ella, “Have courage, and be kind.” For the rest of her life, Ella (later dubbed “Cinder” Ella by her mocking stepsisters) lives by this simple motto. It is this mantra, plus her belief in magic (Disney somehow never retires this motif), that gets Cinderella to the ball. 

Though we don’t all have the magic and princess grace that Cinderella has, there is so much to learn from this fairy tale, perhaps not-so-fictional after all with the lessons it can teach us. So, the answer to my question (Why Cinderella Can Be Remade Five Times and You Still Want to See It) would be this: no matter what the setting or situation or struggles, we always want to see that “prince” looking pretty dang charming! And we all still have that fluttering dream that we’ll meet a guy as perfect as Prince Charming, don’t we?

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 23, 4, 5, 6

An avid writer since I learned to form complete sentences, I write off the cuff to entertain, to humor, and to inspire. As a freshman on the Notre Dame campus, I'm here to offer a fresh (no pun intended) perspective on college life and provide prevalent information on how to get into the collegiate scene.