This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Dark days can most definitely bring on gloomy moods, but when the clouds finally break and the glorious sun appears, the beautiful sky seems to magically make us feel better and provide an instant boost of energy. I have always associated warmer weather with happier moods, and I feel even more strongly about this concept now that I am in college. When the sun is shining, campus is more lively–people are running around the lakes, playing games on the quads, and hammocking in every corner of our stunning campus. In addition, people seem to have a whole new level of motivation that did not  exist when the skies appear to be less inviting. Especially after a long midwest winter, it is vital to spend a sufficient amount of time outdoors and breathe in fresh air.

You may wonder why colder, cloudier weather can be linked to depressed moods. Studies show that “Bad weather can prevent you from taking part in other activities that are good for your mental health, such as exercising, socializing, and being outside in the fresh air. When this goes on for days on end, the effects can start to compound upon themselves and lead to more serious issues with mental health and depression.” Understanding how the weather can affect the way you feel is a vital element of breaking this upsetting cycle.

Though the ugly weather may tempt you to stay in bed, I urge you to make an effort to step outside. I always find myself feeling happier and more energized when I go outdoors–even on a cloudy day. You do not need to schedule any grand plans for an outdoor activity; all you need to do is simply spend some time in the fresh air. Mother Nature will take care of the rest. Perhaps you will see beautiful flowers blooming as you walk across campus, run an extra lap around the lake once you get into your groove, or hang out on the quad with an iced tea and your friends. Each of these actions–though they seem little–can benefit your mental health and provide that positive boost you need to get through the day. Do not let the notorious gray days of South Bend keep you inside your dorm room–make a point to get outside. Whether the day be sunny and clear or dull and cloudy, the Notre Dame campus and community have a lot to offer.

Images: 1 (provided by the author,) 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism