Upperclassmen Share 9 Lessons to Learn Before Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

At the University of Notre Dame, a strong sense of community is crucial – sacred, even. There’s something to be said about a student body that so proudly bleeds blue and gold, and an alumni network that spans across the globe. So, it’s no surprise that with every wave of new first year students, the upperclassmen are as excited for the freshmen to arrive in South Bend as the freshmen are to move there. This week, HCND caught up with some of these students to hear the advice they have to share with the Class of 2018:

1.  Be open.

I would say that [you] should always leave [your] door open. You never know who you will meet walking by your room and making new friends and networking is so important, so meeting as many people as possible is key.”

-Sam Baldazo, Pre-med and Spanish, Class of 2016

2. Do what you love.

Pick your major for love, not money. Do not decide on a course of study just because you believe it will bring you piles of cash and substantial job security after you graduate. While the student loan debt monster hiding under everyone’s bed makes it tempting to choose a major that you know will lead to a high paying job after graduation, resist. Study what you love. The rest will fall into place.

3.  Stay close to your family.

These people tolerated you for eighteen years. Perhaps, if you’re lucky, they even loved and encouraged you to pursue your dreams. Call them on your way to class, when you’re procrastinating before dinner, when you’re procrastinating after dinner. If you ever feel like no one else cares, chances are these people do.

4.  Be kind to yourself.

College is hard. You will get lost. You will participate in awkward ice breakers. Some of you will get your first B, even your first F. Don’t be too hard on yourself or on others. Remember that this is the time to find your place in the world and while it may look like everyone but you has it together, no one really has any idea what they’re doing.”

-Tess Rinaldo, Arabic and Peace Studies, Class of 2016

5.  Work hard, play hard.

Don’t underestimate the idea of reading a textbook ahead of time and in line with the syllabus. Sacrifice a little bit of time before each class to catch up with the syllabus material, and I guarantee you will have an easier time paying attention and comprehending the material in class, and a shorter, much less stressful time studying for exams. This was especially useful for all of my science classes, particularly for Biology and Organic Chemistry. The good thing is that, by sacrificing these bits of time, I still had a lot of time in the weekend to just party, hang out, and do the fun things I like to do! Doing this, I can get the best of both worlds: good grades and college life fun.”

– Fernando Huyke, Biological Sciences, Class of 2017

6.  Keep in touch with your advisor.

Don’t hesitate to set up a meeting or send a quick email, and don’t worry about fitting classes in; you’ll have advisors to help you out with that too!

7.  Acknowledge your weaknesses, but work through them.

Yes, Calculus is hard, but just stay on top of the homework and make some study friends, and you should be okay.

8.  Ask for help if you need it.

There is free tutoring you can sign up for as a freshman. You can sign up in CoMo and go once a week to get help from older students.

9.  Learn to budget your time.

“Time management is a thing you have to gauge for yourself. I’m currently in several clubs and extracurriculars. I’ve found a balance alright, but it is tricky and I still struggle with it when I get really stressed…but I’d say if there’s something you’re interested in, just go for it! Join! It’s now or never. Freshman year is really the time to get out and explore the opportunities for you. If you don’t really like it, it’s okay to say, ‘Hey, I really gotta focus on my studies instead.'”

-Janelle Wanzek, Biological Sciences and Anthropology, Class of 2016

When autumn beckons with its wrinkled brown hand to signal the beginning of the school year, there is one last piece of advice that all Domers should take note of, and that wisdom comes from none other than Father Hesburgh himself. “Whatever you value, be committed to it and let nothing distract you from this goal. The uncommitted life, like Plato’s unexamined life, is not worth living.”

Live the dream, and love thee Notre Dame.

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Images: 1, 2, 3

Cara

Notre Dame

Born and raised in the suburbs of Ohio, Cara is a sophomore Neuroscience and Behavior major at the University of Notre Dame.  Join her as she navigates the ins and outs of her home under the Dome!