Traveling for Dummies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

One week ago I began a journey to the wonderful city of Berlin, Germany.  This would be my first time travelling to a country where I knew absolutely no one.  Filled with excitement and a little bit nervous, I decided to go out with my friends for one last night before heading across the ocean.  That night I slept very well, assuming that all would go as planned.  Of course nothing did. Here is a list of 5 obvious mistakes to help you be a better, smarter traveler!

1. Know when your flight leaves
 The evening before my trip, I had asked my father when my flight left.  He responded with a nonchalant, “Ohhhhhh hmmmm like 7 p.m. or something”.  I took that as “Your flight leaves at 7 p.m., therefore you have all day to prepare for the trip.  I love you.  You are my favorite daughter”, as any normal girl would.  Falling asleep at a solid 4 a.m. that morning, I smiled knowing that I could relax because I would be able to get my usual ten hours of sleep.

Five hours later…I heard a scream from my ever-responsible mother:  “Get out of bed!!! Your flight leaves in one hour!”  Apparently, my father had printed out the wrong itinerary…Arriving at the airport still in my PJ’s and in full on drag-queen-like makeup from the night before, I miraculously made it on the plane just seconds before take-off.

2. Pack your bags at least one day ahead of time
 Since the airport was a 20 minute drive and airport security always feels the need to check the bun I wear as my daily hairstyle for dangerous objects, I only had about ten minutes to throw together my luggage for the next month.  Therefore my suitcase consisted of clothes to last me about four or five days, 12 DVD’s, and a few toiletries.  Clearly someone had temporarily removed my brain when I had woken up the morning of my departure.

3. Know the address of where you are staying
 I was quite excited (and terrified) to be staying at a hostel for the very first time.  I decided that when I arrived I would take a taxi to ensure that I did not get lost.  I would learn how to use public transportation later.  Arriving safely in Berlin, I found the friendliest looking taxi driver and told him to take me to the A&O Hostel.  After I gave the lady at the front desk my name I finally began to relax, looking forward to a nap in the next few minutes.  She replied, “We do not have your name here, but we can have a room ready for you in six hours for 400 Euros”.  For about four seconds, I allowed myself to internally have the biggest temper tantrum of my life and then proceeded to return to an adult state of mind.  One hour later, after waking every family member of mine and a few of my friends, I discovered the problem:  there are three A&O Hostels in Berlin and I was at the wrong one. 

4. Check the weather
 Being quite an optimistic person, I assumed that every day would be exactly 75 degrees without a cloud in the sky.  However the second day I arrived, the icy weather almost convinced me that I should be buying presents and sitting on Santa’s lap.  My only warmth came from the tiny ¾ jean jacket that I had packed and the hot coffee machine inside my hostel.

5. Know how to use public transportation (if there is any)
 For the first three days in Berlin I took taxis wherever I went.  I realized that I if this continued, I would soon be sitting on the curb outside of the main train station with a strange bottle wrapped in a paper bag, holding a sign that read, “Please help.  I only have one month in Berlin and need money to go to museums and clubs.” (auf Deutsch of course).  So, for the next few days I walked everywhere.  Though I could feel myself getting buns of steel with each step, every night I would fall asleep face down with my shoes on because I was so exhausted.  It was time to progress to public transportation.  That was perhaps the best decision I have made so far.

6. Relax 
 No matter how many dumb mistakes you make, relax!  Problems will always be solved and you will have more fun if you avoid stress. Auf Wiedersehen! 

mstingle

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.