‘Tis the Season for Ugly Sweaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

With the last bites of Thanksgiving leftovers consumed, there’s no better time to break out the Christmas decorations. Despite being on top of the decorating the tree, hanging lights on the house, and garland on the staircases, everyone seems to overlook the sweaters until the last minute. There’s no better way to spread holiday cheer than to wear a tacky Christmas sweater. Whether you’re going to a Christmas themed party or just exchanging gifts with your family, be the life of the party with a festive sweater.

So, how did the trend of donning ugly Christmas sweaters begin? They’ve been around for a long time, but gained some real popularity in the 80s. At the time, Bill Cosby was an ugly sweater icon.

Additionally, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation was next to follow the trend. However, once the 90s rolled around, the trend died off a little. Ugly Christmas sweaters didn’t become big again until the early 2000s. More stores are carrying festive sweaters and thrift stores are stocking up on them. There are even books on the market that help you plan an ugly Christmas sweater party. Hobby Lobby now carries ugly Christmas sweater themed garland and napkins. Ugly Christmas sweaters are all the rage.

I love Christmas sweaters and the traditions that come with them. Every year I take my brother to thrift stores so he can get enough sweaters to wear to school during the month of December. But there are so many choices when it comes to these holiday outfits! I am very jealous of this girl’s tree sweater. (DIY project, anyone?)

It’s such a clever idea and I’m sure it would be very easy to make. Just find an old green sweater and decorate it like you would decorate a real tree. It would be super fun to get together with a bunch of friends and make your tree sweaters together!

If you aren’t the creative type, or you simply don’t have time to decorate a sweater, there are many other options. You can hit up the thrift stores like my brother and I do, or you can shop online. From vintage to new, the possibilities are endless! You can find almost anything thrown on to a Christmas sweater. From bows to presents to snowmen, there is something for everyone.

Another way to find great seasonal sweaters is to ask your relatives! You never know what they have hidden in the backs of their closets. When you ask though, don’t say you’re looking for ugly sweaters – that may cause some hurt feelings. Wouldn’t want to start the holidays off on the wrong foot. I know plenty of people that borrow their sweaters from their grandmas. Don’t overlook this option and the money you’ll save if you score a gem from a loved one!

In addition to showing off your holiday spirit, there is something fun in being able to dress up in an ugly sweater and still feel confident. Even though they’re not as cute as a glittery thing from the mall, they sure are warm! The Indiana chill will never bother you in one of these wool sweaters. Layer a long sleeve T-shirt underneath and you’ll be cozier than ever. Have fun and spread some holiday spirit!

Photos 1, 2, 3

Hey everyone! I love to write and cry over episodes of One Tree Hill (don't judge). My favorite things to write about are fashion and music. I am definitely an animal and plant lover. I'm a South Bend native so in a way, Notre Dame has always been a part of my home.