This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

So, here we are. The one time a year where being the ugliest dressed girl in the room is actually the goal. God bless the person who first decided to rock an ugly Christmas sweater to a holiday party sarcastically. Ugly Christmas sweaters have become as much a part of the Holiday season, as decorating the tree and eating copious amounts of peppermint bark. When preparing for the holiday festivities, the number one must-do on every girl’s list is find a kick a** ugly Christmas sweater. Here are the three types of ugly Christmas sweaters in the definitive order of ugliness.

1. The Vintage Ugly Christmas Sweater

The vintage ugly Christmas sweater is essentially the Holy Grail of Christmas sweaters. This is where it all began and the sweater that everyone lusts after. It’s kind of hard to believe that when this sweater was first made someone actually thought it was cute and bought it for the purpose of looking good, nonetheless it has a new purpose now.

These sweaters are always made out of the itchiest material and make you overwhelmingly overheated very fast, so obviously they are perfect for those crowded dorm parties. Unfortunately, these sweaters can not be found at you local Target, to find gold with this one it requires scouring the women’s section of your local thrift store. Bonus points if you actually found yours in your Grandma’s closet!

2. The DIY Christmas Sweater

This one gets the second spot due to the shear effort involved. To successfully pull of a sweater of this caliber a little creativity and craftiness is required. The more stuff you can fit onto the sweater the better.

These sweaters require a little more work than the others because you are doing it all yourself (unless your mom is crafty, likes doing these kind of things, and would make it for you, unlike my mom). The first step to success is to find a comfy sweater with a nice blank canvas. Next go to the store and find as much Christmas-y trinkets as possible. Then it actually gets difficult: the creation of your sweater.

If your sweater looks like Christmas threw up on it, you have succeeded. If it lights up, you have won the Christmas sweater game. So, whip out your hot glue gun or ametuer sewing kit and get to work!

3. The Christmas Sweater You Picked Up at Target

I applaud the effort for those who buy their ugly sweater at their local Christmas superstore, but these sweaters lack authenticity. Occasionally, these sweaters are actually pretty cute, which defeats the purpose of an ugly Christmas sweater.

The ugliness factor on the sweaters that were fabricated within the last year is usually pretty low, but these sweaters are in abundance, so they are always a good backup if your search through the thrift store is unsuccessful. The plus side of these is you can actually wear to class without feeling like a Christmas display. You can incorporate them into your everyday getup, which I do, debateably too often.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hannah Dunn

Notre Dame

Hannah Dunn is a sophomore Marketing and Film, Television and Theater major at ND. Born and raised in Westchester, NY, Hannah loves to lax it up with the Women's Club Lacrosse Team, but is never opposed to a Netflix and chill. If you need a good Ben and Jerry's ice cream recommendation be sure to ask her.