samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for a Weekend Trip to Paris

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Bonjour! France is a beautiful country with strong citizens, a lovely language and a historic culture. As Notre Dame students, many of us will spend a semester abroad in Europe. Here are helpful tips and places to visit if you choose to spend one of your many weeks or weekends abroad in the beloved city of Paris (which, I recommend you do).

Discounts

Always bring your passport! For most trips, it’s safest to lock your passport in your locker at the hostel or in a safe at your hotel or Airbnb. Paris, however, has an awesome system in place for youth under 25 who are long-term residents of Europe. All you have to do is show your passport and your student visa/international student I.D. card and you can enter any museum, historic site or art gallery for free! I was able to visit the Palace of Versaille, the Louvre, the Musée d’Orsay and La Cathédral de Notre Dame during my 2 day trip. The Louvre is one location that has a stipulation for their under-25 discount. The museum is only free after 6 p.m. on Fridays. Yes, seems like an odd rule, BUT I waited in line for security for approximately ten minutes and was able to take a photo in front of the Mona Lisa without too many impatient tourists next to me! 

The Eiffel Tower

Starting at 9 p.m. the entire tower is lit up with twinkling lights on the hour, every hour for five whole minutes. I recommend witnessing this beautiful display! I also recommend getting to your viewing location fifteen to twenty minutes early to reserve your spot – it gets crowded very quickly. Also, make sure you stop by the tower during the daytime. It’s super fun if you bring some snacks and wine to sit in front of the tower on the grassy lawn. We saw a bachelorette party, a photoshoot and lots of puppies during our little picnic. You also can pay money and travel up to the top of the tower. I opted not to, but it’s a great opportunity to see the entire city from above, which is something I love to do at any city I visit!

The Louvre

Fridays at the Louvre are relaxed and void of large tour groups. The museum wants to encourage an appreciation for art in its university aged population, which is why it is free for the younger visitors at this time. Once you enter the museum, there are signs and arrows that point you in the direction of the Mona Lisa. The staff placed the masterpiece directly in the center of the museum, forcing visitors to look at other beautiful pieces along the way. Honestly, I was more taken with the other pieces than Mona herself, but it is definitely a must-do while in Paris. 

Palace of Versailles

This excursion requires a slightly longer commute on a new train. However, it was worth the time and energy. The palace has a self-guided tour through the state rooms that, of course, is free to those under 25. Rather than waiting in the long line to purchase tickets, we simply had to walk up to the ticket collector at the front door and show them our passports. This saved us about 30 minutes of waiting. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the garden behind the palace was my favorite that I visited while in Europe!

Accommodations

Earlier this year, I wrote an article about the pros and cons of hostels and Airbnbs. During this trip, I stayed at an Airbnb outside the city limits. This was one of the best accommodation choices I could have made. Due to our location, we were encouraged to figure out the metro and bus system. This gave us an insight into the average day of a typical Parisian. Also, all of the bakeries and restaurants near our residence exclusively spoke French. This forced us to appreciate the language and culture that surrounded us without Americanizing any aspects. Plus, it gave me a chance to practice my Intermediate 1 French knowledge!

Time of Travel

I visited France at the end of September. The weather was perfect for jeans and a light jacket, as it got colder at night. However, I have many friends who went during the December and January months who did not enjoy their time. This might have been due to the cold or to other circumstances, but if cold is not something you handle well, maybe a fall or spring trip would be preferred. 

France is a beautiful country with a diverse set of cities. These tips for traveling Paris are just a handful of the adventures you may have on your trip. Finally, always remember: the croissant, hot chocolate, tiramisu and baguettes are worth the money! You will never regret them!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on Facebook, Pin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Gif 1. Photos 1, 2, 3 provided by author.

Kate Uganski

Notre Dame '20

Lover of the Great Lakes, Heath Ledger and the color yellow. A neuroscience and behavior student with plans to become a pediatrician. Strong believer in summer camps and trips to Europe.