Tips From a Florida Girl on How to Survive the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’m a Midwest girl through and through. I was born and raised in Chicago, and then I went to college two hours away. While this manifests itself a lot in my personality, it also means that I’m prepared for any type of weather, including snow. Also, did I mention I’m half Canadian? Since I can’t understand what it’s like for Southerners to attend a college where it snows regularly, I asked my friend Irla from Jacksonville, Florida to help me write this article. Here are her top 12 tips for surviving the winter: ​

Invest in a windshield scraper 

There will inevitably be ice and snow on your car and you don’t want to have to use a broom for the entirety of winter.

(She’s dead serious. She has been using a broom to get the snow off her car recently.)

Your Florida jacket is not a real jacket

My two cents on this is that you don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars on a jacket (I got my current one for about $80 at Marshalls), but make sure it’s made with down. It’ll be a lot warmer, I promise. 

Have fun! 

Don’t let your roommate from the Midwest stop you from making snow angels or quell your excitement for the snow in general. 

Be Careful

Wear a helmet to your first snowball fight. Snow hurts, man. Depending on the type of snow, snowball fights can get really dangerous. My Florida friend got a balck eye during her first snowball fight. 

Waterproof your feet 

Snow is fun until it melts. Uggs are not waterproof boots. Get yourself some prper snow boots. 

This is huge. Having wet feet makes you miserable. Get waterproof boots or spray them with waterproof spray. You can find the spray at pretty much any hardware store. 

Layers

Layers are key…unless you’re inside for most of the day. Your layers will feel like a sauna. The art of layering takes practice and patience. It’s definitely a pain putting everything on and then taking it all off when you get inside a building, but there isn’t really a better solution.

Hats, Scarves, and Gloves! Oh my!

A hat and a scarf go a long way. Plus, you can basically hide your face with a scarf and a hat and go about your day being as antisocial as your heart desires. 

Also gloves. You want to be able to use your fingers in the future.

Iced Coffee 

You can still drink iced coffee in the winter time—just make sure to do it inside!

Iced coffee is still acceptable. Some of my Midwest friends pride themselves on drinking iced coffee all year round.

Windchill

If the weather forecast mentions wind chill, you’re guaranteed to be cold. 30 degrees with wind chill feels like 0 degrees. Most weather apps will have a “feels like” temperature in addition to the real temperature. Pay attention to it!

Winter is the new Summer 

Florida winter will feel like summer! As you watch your friends complain about “winter,” you’ll be heading to the beach, living your best life!

Catching Snowflakes 

Pro-tip: If you want to catch snowflakes with your tongue, you MUST hold your breath! Okay. This tip I learned from my Midwest friends, but all Florida girls NEED to know!

Mindfulness

When you’re outside, take the time to stop. Feel cold. Look at your breath. Hear the snow crunch beneath your feet. Feel happy with where you are and who you are. :)

Claire Stanecki

Notre Dame '20

A senior at Notre Dame studying Anthropology and Spanish, Claire is an avid reader, choral music enthusiast, adventure seeker, tea aficionado, and Chicago native.