This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

We’re pretty deep into quarantine at this point and I’m already running out of things to do. I go on about a million walks a day with my family just to get out of the house, and I’ve basically reread every book that I own, but so far, I’ve still felt like the days are going by slowly. With summer coming up, a lot of internship programs and summer jobs have been canceled for this upcoming summer, meaning that we’re going to have a lot of time to ourselves.

I’ve decided to compile a list of things that I’ve been watching recently and particularly enjoying as recommendations for anyone who may need a distraction from what’s going on around the world or just entertainment while stuck inside for the unforeseeable future.

New Girl

This show follows four characters who all live in a loft together as they try to figure out adulthood and try to find their places in the world. All the seasons are available on Netflix!

I’ve watched this show a million times, and it’s still funny and entertaining the million and first time watching it. It’s a specifically good show to watch if you’re looking for something light and that will make you laugh.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

This comedy TV show follows the detectives of Brooklyn’s 99th precinct as they go about their lives as cops. It’s full of quirky and unique characters, and all seasons except the most recent are available on Hulu (the most recent is currently airing every Thursday night at 8:30 on NBC).

This is another show that I can watch over and over again and still find funny. The characters are all so distinctive and eccentric and each bring their own qualities to the show, and some of the situations in the show are so ridiculous that it can be a great way to distract yourself and pass the time.

Veep

This show follows Vice President Selina Meyer as she goes through her political duties, putting out political fires and trying to balance her public and private life with the (maybe detrimental) help of her team. All seasons are available on HBO.

This is another show that will make you laugh with its crude and often unexpected humor. As a political science student, I find the way the show seems to satirize D.C. hilarious, especially in this day and age when all eyes are on the politics in D.C.

Criminal Minds

This show follows members of the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI as they use profiling skills to catch dangerous criminals. Most seasons are available on Netflix.

This show is a little heavier than the other ones I’ve mentioned, as it deals with gory and scary things such as serial killers. But normally in one episode there is so much going on that I get sucked into it, and next thing I know, I’ve watched six episodes in a row; it’s the perfect show to watch if you’re looking to kill some time.

Emma

Based off of Jane Austen’s Emma, this movie follows young Emma Woodhouse as she tries to play matchmaker for her friend Harriet in the 1800s. It is available to rent on Amazon.

Something about being stuck in my house has made me appreciate period dramas all that much more. This movie is a comedy-drama, and I’ve watched it twice since coming home. I liked it that much. It’s light and airy while also dealing with topics that I found myself able to relate to, making it the perfect movie for entertainment. 

While all of these TV shows and movies are very different and deal with different topics, they have all been a constant source of entertainment for me while I’m stuck in my childhood bedroom for the time being. I highly recommend you check some of them out while curled up in a cozy blanket and maybe forcing a pet to cuddle with you to online stream!

Jane Hilger

Notre Dame '22

Jane is a junior English and Political Science double major. She is originally from Ellicott City, Maryland, and she used to live in Lyons Hall, but now she is a resident of Pangborn Hall. She is an avid reader, writer, and watcher of bad reality tv.