Theater’s Cellular Tipping Point

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The acting world is waging a war on cell phones, and it’s time to decide whose side we are on.

Flash back to late April in the midst of musical Hamilton’s off-Broadway run; actors requested that Madonna (yes, that Madonna) not be allowed backstage following a performance, claiming that they were offended that she had been texting for a majority of the musical. On July 6th, nineteen year-old Long Islander Nick Silvestri climbed onstage before a performance of Hand to God and attempted to charge his phone in a fake outlet on the play’s set. Eventually having to face the music, Silvestri was prompted to make a public apology in a press conference format. The very next day, Broadway veteran Patti LuPone confiscated an audience member’s iPhone mid-performance of Shows for Days because the young woman had been texting throughout the play’s duration. So, is the lashing out on the part of the actors unwarranted, or is it iPhone users everywhere that need a reality check?

It really is undeniable that our society has become a more cellular friendly place, with texting lanes having been instituted on college campuses and charging kiosks cropping up around every corner. According to Forbes Magazine, five billion of the seven billion people in the world today use a cell phone on a daily basis. In a similar study, Daily Mail UK found that the average time a young person spends between separate cell phone uses is six minutes, meaning that, unless otherwise engaged, an audience member would be inclined to use their phone up to twenty-five times over the course of a typical theater production. But, although even the theater community cannot overlook how plugged in we are as a culture, Broadway is still giving this particular technology the cold shoulder.

Where Broadway has bowed out, other entertainment experiences have taken the bait. In the summer of 2014, AMC Theaters announced that they were toying around with the idea of introducing a “second screen experience” to its movie showings. Additional content relevant to the movie would become available to the viewer through apps on a ‘second screen’, meaning that theaters would now be encouraging rather than discouraging the use of electronics. In a trial run, however, the target 18 to 35 year-old age group found the additional content to be more of a distraction than an enhancement to the moving watching experience as a whole, contradicting the original need to embrace the habits of more keyboard-happy viewers.

The chip on theater’s shoulder is a result of the fact that audience reception is taken much more at face value. Bradley Cooper will never know (or probably care) that you texted at a showing of American Sniper. But, if he saw you texting during a performance of The Elephant Man, he might not have been as forgiving.

There is a time and a place to take care of your tech needs, but the window of opportunity ends when the lights start to dim. Put yourself in an actor’s shoes. If you had been preparing for months for a major in-class presentation, and, when the day came, the very teacher you spent all your time trying to impress checked his email while you were trying to say your piece, chances are you would be pretty upset too.

The best thing we can do for the theater community is be an audience worth performing for, and that audience is not one that violates an actor’s trust by ignoring simple rules. So, next time you step into a theater, power down and enjoy the moments ahead. The real world can wait a little while.

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.com or Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3

Lydia Costello is a freshman at ND studying English and Film, Television, Theater with a concentration in film. She hails from the sprawling metropolis of Chesterton, Indiana (although she might tell you Chicago in an effort to sound more interesting), but is a proud Lyons lady while at home under the dome. When she's not blogging, writing for HCND, or being a pun master extraordinaire, Lydia can be found live tweeting awards shows and episodes of Downton Abbey over at @lydia_costelllo, taking Buzzfeed quizzes, asking to pet other people's dogs, and lying to herself about making Pinterest recipes. She's always up for a good cup of coffee and good conversation (if lost, please return to Starbucks). Keep calm and Go Irish!