Study Abroad Celebrity: Christina Senger, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Did I interview this lovely lady because it was super convenient (because we are studying together overseas)? NO! Christina Senger is currently living it up in Bologna, Italy as a part of an intensive Italian language program. When braving the South Bend weather on campus, the double sociology and Italian major brings awesome speakers to campus for SUB, contributes to the hall council of the best dorm on campus, and generally lives life to the fullest. Everyone should have a friend as resourceful, enthusiastic, and fun as Christina! Thanks for giving us a peak at your abroad experience! 

Name: Christina Senger

Year: Junior

Hometown: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Dorm: PW

Major: Sociology and Italian

Abroad Program: Bologna, Spring 2014 with Indiana University Bologna Consortial Studies Program (BCSP) at Universita di Bologna 

NDH/SDH: NDH, duh

Campus Activities: SUB programmer for Ideas and Issues, SIBC, PW Hall Council 

What is your favorite Notre Dame memory so far?

Going to Miami for the National Championship with my friends…but not losing. Everything was awesome until that. 

What is your favorite song right now?

Demons [by Imagine Dragons]

Tell me a little known fact about yourself.

It’s so little known, I don’t even know it yet. 

Who is your celebrity crush?

Ian Somerholder or Matt Bomer 

What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Inventive, Tranquilla [chill], Outgoing

Should have been an engineer

What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list? 

The Hesburgh Challenge. I may already have a plan for it. 

Now for the study abroad stuff!

Why did you choose Bologna for your study abroad experience? 

Because I’m an Italian major, they suggested I go to Bologna rather than Rome. It’s a more language intensive program and I’m hoping to improve my language skills.

What is your favorite part about studying abroad so far? 

The lack of studying I’ve done (because our semester hasn’t started yet)… and the food! Bologna is a beautiful city and I’ve fallen in love with it already! Experiencing a new culture has been great, especially aperitivo [appetizers similar to tapas]! I’m a huge fan of it!  

How have you changed since you’ve been abroad?

I wear a lot more neutrals now. Women in Italy don’t wear color and most of my wardrobe is pastels. 

What has the hardest part of living abroad been for you?

Things getting lost in translation… [See here] And for our program we had to find our own apartments. It was challenging but it worked out so well! 

Would you recommend this program to a friend?

Absolutely! 

Tips for those considering study abroad?

Bring an emergency kit just in case you find yourself without a wine opener – a screw and some pliers work wonders! But seriously, don’t have too high of expectations. Everything is usually broken in Italy, but that’s the beauty of it. 

For more study abroad stories and adventures, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos provided by interviewee 

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!