This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Today is officially the first day of spring! In honor of the end of winter, I am getting ready, somewhat preemptively, to rotate all my spring/summer clothes forward and find space for all my recent splurges. When you’re transitioning seasons and starting think about wherever you’ll be living this summer, it’s the perfect time to do some closet cleansing… or purging depending on the situation.

How do you conduct a proper closet cleanse? Follow these steps and keep in mind, although it may not be easy, this is a detoxifying event.

1.     Recruit a friend to participate or a roommate for a double cleanse.

2.     Make a playlist.

3.     Designate three bags on the floor label them donate, toss, and sell.

4.     Biggest tip for choosing what clothes to get rid of: Have you worn it in a year? Do you avoid wearing it?

5.     Drawers: Dump them one at a time (this helps if you’re feeling overwhelmed or are already organized), go through, and separate the contents into the appropriate piles.

6.     Closet: One piece at a time.

7.     Don’t forget your shoes and accessories!

8.     Organize all the stuff you keep!

When deciding not to keep some of the items that made quite the dent in your bank account, consider selling them online! Extra cash can never hurt, especially once you’ve weeded out all your unwanted clothes and made room for new pieces! There’s great websites out there just for buying and selling women’s closets such as poshmark.

I’ve never personally used poshmark (yet) to sell my clothes before, but I have used trendy consignment stores in my hometown before. The benefit to using a website like poshmark though is that you get to keep your clothes in hand, until they are purchased. Plus, since it’s online you stay in the loop about all the transactions made that are relative to your account, which requires some digging when going the traditional store route sometimes.

Poshmark is an online marketplace for women’s fashion and accessories, they have guidelines for what you can sell on their site. Here’s how it works according to their website:

“Our fees are very simple and straightforward. For all sales under $15, Poshmark takes a flat commission of $2.95. You keep the rest. For sales of $15 or more, you keep 80% of your sale and Poshmark’s commission is 20%. Once your sale has been delivered and received by your buyer, the earnings from your sale are yours. You can spend your earnings within the app or withdraw your money as cash whenever you like.

We at Poshmark like simplicity. Unlike other places, there is no nickel and diming – we handle the financial transaction for you (including paying credit card fees), provide you with a pre-paid, pre-addressed shipping label, and we will serve as your customer support team for your sale. In other words, we provide a simple end-to-end platform for selling fashion!”

Happy spring collegiettes!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

From the Beach to the Bend! I am a Junior Political Science major at the University of Notre Dame originally from Laguna Beach, CA (...yes, like the show). I am minoring in Constitutional Studies and Energy Studies, both of which are much more exciting than they sound I promise! In typical California style, I am obsessed with fish tacos and all things eco-chic! And I am constantly dancing or choreographing in my head!