Spending Your Friday Night with the “Son of God”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

A typical college student would be unlikely to want to spend their weekends watching a religious film on the life and death of Jesus. Although Notre Dame does tend to be more religiously inclined than most major universities, there is not an abnormal amount of students running to the theater to do so either.

But with the premier of the new film “Son of God” this Friday, you might want to change your mind. This highly anticipated film expects to bring in large crowds this Friday, including all types of people except the average college student. I know just as well as you that finding time to go to a movie while balancing school and social lives is tough. And when there is time, you would much rather watch a mind-numbing comedy or action movie that can take your mind off of stressful midterms. However, this movie should not be ignored while considering this week’s Friday-night flick.

Directed by Christopher Spencer and starring Diogo Morgado, “Son of God” markets as a major motion picture that seeks to bring the story of Jesus’ life to audiences through powerful and inspiration storytelling. This film totes a complete forte with exotic locales, dazzling visual effects and a rich orchestral score.

The producers of this film have constantly stressed that this movie isn’t just for the devoted, as it was created to detail the story of Jesus Christ for those who aren’t familiar with it. One producing partner, Roma Downey, even stated, “It was our job to make sure that the journey emotionally connected with you so we told the story on the one hand as a political thriller and at the same time, it is a beautiful love story.”

In a time in which midterms and harsh weather conditions rule our lives, along with the other countless worries that a college student must go through, this movie might just bring you just the thing you need to face the coming weeks with a new attitude. Hope, the central driving force behind the movie, is just the thing we need as college students to persevere through any hard times. This movie can also help bring faith (something we all wish we had more of) to the forefront of our lives. The movie producers even stressed how this movie shows you that beyond the power of prayer and devotion, faith in action in our everyday lives is completely achievable.

Mark Burnett, a producer for shows like “Survivor,” “The Voice” and “Shark Tank,” wanted to ensure that the film was viewable from any circumstance as an epic action film, with the background of Jesus’ life. So far, every review of the film has regarded it as one for any generation, regardless of religious affiliation.

While many theaters across the country are already sold out, I urge you to try and find a ticket and get to see this movie. Although it may seem that I am preaching from a religious “high-horse”, I really think this movie could bring hope and faith to any college student’s life. So even though you could probably think of better ways to spend your night, take a chance and go see this movie. You never know, your eyes might be opened to a new outlook on your life and your relationship with the big man upstairs. 

For more colliegette news, follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook!

Photos 1, 2, 3