Solidarity: Roses or Love?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The views in this article express the opinion of the author. This post does not represent the views or opinions of Notre Dame, Her Campus Notre Dame, or Her Campus Media. 

I’m going to voice what I know is an unpopular opinion, but after years of stifling anger and outrage, I want to speak out. On Wednesday, October 8, if you passed by South Quad, you probably noticed a display of roses. Every year, there is some sort of display on the quad relating to abortion. In recent years, it has been roses. In past years, there have been crosses (The Cemetery of the Innocents), which I found even more offensive.

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about feminism. Regardless of what you think about the subject, abortion discussions often spur from feminist discussions. Here’s my stance: a woman’s right to choose what she does with her body is a right uniquely reserved to her. Every time I pass the roses on the quad, I feel outrage for the women and men on this campus being hurt by them.

It is currently legal in all 50 states for you to have an abortion, if you so choose. That right is legally, ethically, and morally yours. To me, the roses do not signify solidarity. To me, they are a condemnation of those who have chosen to use their legal and yes, God given, rights. For those of you about to condemn me for being pro-abortion, please wait. The choice to support abortion as an option for women makes me pro-choice, not pro-abortion. I am, and will always be, for a woman’s right to choose.

According to the latest statistics released by the Center for Diseases Control, in 2010 14.6 abortions occurred in 1,000 women between the ages of 15-44. More recent statistics remain unpublished by the CDC, but it is clear from this statistic that someone you know has probably had an abortion. If you allow for a bit of rounding, 1 in 67 women has had an abortion.

There are 12,004 students at Notre Dame currently according to the admissions website, 8,452 of whom are undergraduate students. Statistically that means that some of our classmates have had abortions or have had girlfriends who have had abortions. Instead of making them feel uncomfortable with roses or crosses condemning them for making a very difficult and very personal decision, we should be creating an environment in which they feel as loved and accepted as any other Notre Dame student.

No matter how dearly we all wish that Notre Dame was always an accepting, open-minded place, the reality is that it isn’t. There are opinions that are unpopular to hold and that are accompanied with judgment if you share them. I am well aware of the fact that my pro-choice stance is not one that is consistent with Notre Dame’s Catholic character, but that is the beauty of beliefs; we all can believe different things.

I hope that if you’re reading this – whether you’re pro-choice or pro-life, a virgin or sexually active, someone who has had an abortion, a child, or given one up for adoption – that you know that regardless of the presence of the roses on the quad, or crosses, you are welcome here. You are a wonderful and loved person. You should not feel judged or condemned for your beliefs or your choices.

Until we make everyone feel welcome (regardless of their faith, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender, race, personal opinions, etc.), we will always have room to improve campus culture. For me, the roses do not represent acceptance and love for our Notre Dame community. I hope in future years we can show our love to all those who have made difficult decisions. If you have had an abortion, considered one, or are simply pro-choice, please do not feel alone or ostracized. You are just as much a part of this community as everyone else and you deserve to be here. I love you. No matter what you believe and no matter what choices you make. 

Resources: If you discover you are pregnant, you are not alone. Notre Dame has resources to help. If you are worried you may be pregnant, you can get a free pregnancy test at St. Liam’s, or a free pregnancy test off campus at the Women’s Care Center. You can call Notre Dame’s 24 hour help line at 574-631-7336 or the Women’s Care Center 24 hour help line at 1-877-908-234. Notre Dame also has emergency services walk-in hours weekdays from 9:00am to 5:00pm. You can contact Campus Ministry if you would like to talk to a priest. If you are currently a mother or have a wife who is nursing, you should be aware that there are three lactation areas on campus. Catholic Charities sponsors Project Rachel, which offers post-abortion support. You can contact them at: 1-855-722-4354. Additionally, you can consult Planned Parenthood’s website for more information about contraceptives, STDs, birth control, pregnancy, health insurance and women’s health. 

Follow the HCND Pinterest account, pin with us, and remember to keep posted with HCND onTwitterInstagram, and Facebook!

Images: 1234

Sources: 12

Maria Fahs

Notre Dame

Maria is finishing her Masters in English at Notre Dame. She has read many good books and several bad books, but she usually tries not to finish those. Her current favorites are: 1984, The Book Thief, The Tragedy Paper, Code Name Verity, Dr. Copernicus, I Am the Messenger, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, and of course, Harry Potter. She is writing her second thesis on Harry Potter, exploring notions of authorship and reader agency in the digital age. She even managed to write her Capstone on British Children's Literature and designed her own Directed Readings Course on Notre Dame history during undergrad. Her favorite way to read is with a mug of tea and scented candles. When she doesn't have her nose stuck in a book, she can be found binging on the BBC (Downton Abbey, Doctor Who, Sherlock, Merlin [RIP]). Her favorite color is purple, she studied abroad in London, and she enjoys being an amateur painter. She harbors a not-so-secret dream of one day writing a children's book, but until then, she is likely to be found reading them and writing letters whenever she gets a chance. She hopes to teach English or work in a university sharing her love of education.