ShopKick Your Way to Deals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Remember when you were little and you would go to the arcade with your friends where you could win tickets to earn prizes? You could spend your tickets on a variety of things. There were the smaller toys, like Koosh Balls and Pez dispensers, that everyone was able to get, then there were the medium prizes for those with enough quarters to spend the entire day in front of the Colorama machine trying to hit the button at that perfect moment, and then there were the “premium” prizes, the razor scooters and Lego sets, attainable only to those whose parents allowed them return to the arcade every weekend. Now there is a grown up version of the arcade, “ShopKick.”

ShopKick is an app that will reward you just for stepping foot into a store. For those girls who love to shop, ShopKick is like a gift from God. You can earn points, or “kicks,” for a variety of things from walking into a store, scanning items, and making purchases. The more kicks you earn, the more prizes you can redeem. This time however, the prizes are a bit more glamorous than an inflatable saxophone, but they still do come in a wide range. The average girl can ShopKick her way to earning gift cards worth up to $25 at her favorite stores like Target, Starbucks, Aerie and Macy’s. The girl who likes to save her tickets, or kicks, can hold out for designer purses, and those who seem to have nothing else to do other than shop can win themselves a free night at a nice hotel, or even a free cruise.

While it isn’t ridiculously easy to earn kicks, it’s not particularly difficult either, and there are a few things you can do to cash in on all the kicks available. Most stores give kicks for scanning items. Usually there are just a few things to scan, but some stores, like Target and Walmart, give you the opportunity to scan nearly forty items and earn thousands of kicks. The twist is that you have to run around the store hunting down the items you’re supposed to scan. There is a way to get around that though. If you do a quick Google search before you head out the door you can find the bar codes of the “scanable” items online. You can print out the page and scan the things off the paper once you get to the store as opposed to having to go on a wild goose chase with your shopping cart looking for things to scan. Just be sure you actually buy something from the store though so you’re really earning your kicks.

Download the app and check back every time you go shopping to earn more kicks. Before you know it you could earn yourself a few free Starbucks drinks or $25 dollars at Target ready to be spent when you get back to campus in the fall!

Photos 1, 2

Julia is a junior IT Management major from Minneapolis. When she isn't making spreadsheets in Excel, Julia can usually be found perusing antique shops, redecorating her dorm room, or speaking with a beautiful Minnesotan accent.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.