This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Retarded. There’s no emotion that can capture how hearing that word affects me. For a lot of my peers, the ‘r-word’ is just another synonym for stupid, which makes me livid. As someone who has a younger brother with autism, this word is effectively insulting all the progress and hard work that he has put into his life. It belittles him to the point where he is the equivalent of something that is considered stupid. My brother Reid is most definitely not stupid and the ignorance that people exemplify when using the r-word is despicable. I first heard this word when I was around 12 years old, much like my uninformed friends, I, too, thought it was synonymous with stupid. A short time later I found out the true meaning of this word. The word ‘retarded’ is a dated term that designates a person who is “less advanced in mental, physical, or social development than is usual for one’s age” (Oxford Dictionary). I was incredibly ashamed of myself that I had been insulting kids like Reid and their families every time I used it. I vowed to myself from that day forward that I would never use the r-word again and that I would do my best to advocate for the eradication of this word.Whenever someone views my Instagram profile, aside from my name they’ll see a link to r-word.org, which encourages “accepting attitudes and communities for all people.” Having this in my Instagram bio has served as a conversation starter and as a great platform to promote the discontinuance of the r-word. There are way too many people who have adopted this word as a part of their everyday vernacular, and it is my mission to put an end to this, even if I am working on a microscopic scale. Though it can be difficult and even awkward sometimes to ask someone to please not use the r-word, Iknow that there are people with disabilities who need an ally, like myself, to stand up for them.

Educating my peers and community is something that will take time, but my hope is that my passion for this cause will enable me to make a difference. I’ve always believed that leading by example is the greatest way to influence others. As someone who interacts every day with people with special needs, I know the gravity that this cruel word holds. Through my involvement with the special needs community coupled with my unconditional love for my brother, I hope that the joy I exude as a result of this community will inspire others to treat these individuals with the kindness they deserve. I hope that my work spirals a domino effect that encourages others to be inclusive of those with disabilities and find the bravery to stand up to those who use the r-word.

Being able to share my passion and make my community a better place is a dream that I don’t believe is too distant. All my closest friends pledged alongside me in 2012 to renounce the use of the r-word and have aided me in making this breakthrough within my school. They have been instrumental in making such a monumental impact by correcting their friends who use the r-word and encouraging others to do the same. My love for my brother is invaluable and continues to motivate me to educate my peers on what it means to be an ally for the disabled community. No matter the magnitude of the effect I make, I will continue to work with and for these kids who mean the absolute world to me in hopes of creating a world where the r-word doesn’t exist, and we are all equal, regardless of our abilities.

Photo 1, 2

Sarah Duarte

Notre Dame '22

Hey I’m Sarah Duarte! I am majoring in History with minors in Digital Marketing and Constitutional Studies at the University of Notre Dame. I’m also a Zumba instructor and am from Southern California.