Quinoa: The Ancient Grain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It might have a funny name, but this grain is absolutely delicious especially considering it is one of the healthiest foods you can find. It’s high in fiber and protein, meaning it will keep you fuller longer. Alone, it doesn’t have much of a taste, but the beauty of this “ancient grain” is that you can add just about anything to it! It might sound fancy and exotic, but it’s actually super easy to make (you can even do it in the microwave!). See the recipes below for ideas.

For the Cooking Novice

Microwave Directions:

Perfect for when you don’t have a lot of time. Just heat it up and add some of your favorite veggies!

1. In a microwave-safe bowl, mix one part quinoa with two parts water. Loosely cover.
  2. Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
  3. Let quinoa sit for 8-10 minutes
  4. Microwave on high for an additional 2 minutes.
  5.  Let cool and enjoy!

Bell Peppers and Cucumbers:

This is my favorite way to have quinoa. I make it for dinner a lot and bring leftovers to work with my lunch. It’s great because it doesn’t get soggy, and it tastes good hot or cold!

1. Prepare quinoa in the microwave according to the steps above, but before microwaving for the additional 2 minutes, stir in about a tablespoon of olive oil.
  2. Chop up cucumber as well as red, yellow, or orange bell peppers and cook them in the microwave with olive oil or leave them raw.
  3. Add them to the quinoa with a little salt and pepper and you’re good to go!

For the Seasoned Chef

Stove Preparation:

1. Place one part quinoa and two parts water or vegetable/chicken broth in a pot.
  2. Simmer quinoa for about 15 minutes. You’ll know it’s cooked when the center appears soft and you can see the germ ring around the outside edge of the grain.

Quinoa with Pesto:

Keep reading for an easy pesto recipe, or pick some up already made at the store.

1. Prepare quinoa either in the microwave or on the stove.
  2. Prepare the pesto sauce (Optional): In a food processor combine a handful of fresh basil leaves and about a teaspoon of olive oil. Add grated Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper and mix.
  3. Remove quinoa from heat and stir in pesto sauce.
  4. Add chicken, steamed veggies, or whatever your heart desires!
  5. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and serve either hot or cold.

Quinoa-Stuffed Tomatoes:

What makes this recipe so great is the marinating the tomatoes to give them a little extra flavor.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Remove center and seeds from tomato(s) and allow it to drain for about 5 minutes.
  4. Stir about half a teaspoon of olive oil per tomato with garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper.
  5. Place the drained tomato(s) in a plastic bag with this mixture and allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes.
  6. Stir together goat cheese, breadcrumbs, and lemon zest and add to cooked quinoa.
  7. Fill tomatoes with quinoa mix and place on baking sheet.
  8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes are barely softened and brown on the bottom.
  9. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and enjoy!

Photo 1, 2

Julia is a junior IT Management major from Minneapolis. When she isn't making spreadsheets in Excel, Julia can usually be found perusing antique shops, redecorating her dorm room, or speaking with a beautiful Minnesotan accent.
Katie Fusco

Notre Dame

A senior English and American Studies double major at the University of Notre Dame, Katie is passionate about media, education, and public history.