This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Coffee is one of the most popular and beloved drinks on college campuses and throughout the country. A caffeine boost to get you through the day combined with a delicious aroma and taste makes coffee, to many people, the perfect beverage.

Coffee is so widespread and heavily consumed that, not only is Starbucks an extremely frequented business, but there exists a National Coffee Day, which was just celebrated on September 29. The University of Notre Dame recognized the event by providing free coffee to student in the Dooley Room of LaFortune that afternoon. The Greek gods had ambrosia, but we have coffee! :) 

I know Thor is not a Greek god, but it’s the same idea!

One of the beautiful things about coffee is that there are several ways to drink it. Need a serious caffiene boost? Try a doppio! If you want something more soothing and delicious rather than energizing, a caffe latte might be a good choice. However, there are so many ways to prepare coffee that it can be confusing to tell them all apart. Here’s a quick guide to some of the wonderful ways to get your coffee fix so that you don’t 1) order the wrong beverage or 2) embarrass yourself in front of your coffee expert friends.

Espresso

Espresso (NOT expresso!) refers to the way in which the coffee is filtered, not to a specific variety of coffee bean. Espresso is the result from rapidly filtering very hot water through finely ground coffee beans. If you order an espresso shot, you will get 30 ml of espresso.

Doppio

Doppio means double in Italian. In other words, this is a double espresso shot (60 ml).

Caffe Americano

A caffe americano allows you to consume your espresso shot over a longer period of time if you want the drink to last longer. It is one part espresso and two parts water.

Cappucino

This drink is created by combining equal parts espresso, steamed milk and foamed milk.

Caffe Latte

A latte has far more milk than coffee in it; 60ml espresso, 300ml steamed milk and a small amount of foamed milk.

Cafe Au Lait 

The key difference between this drink and a latte is that the Cafe Au Lait is made with filtered coffee, not espresso.

Mocha

The mocha is like a sweet, chocolately version of the latte. It is equal parts espresso and chocolate with half the amount of steamed milk (twice as much espresso as milk).

Macchiato

Not to be confused with the Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks, a true macchiato is prepared with one or two espresso shots and a small amount of foamed milk on top.

Of course, there are countless ways to adjust each drink to your own personal preferences. Try out a bunch of different options and see what you like best. Happy coffee drinking, collegietes! 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.