This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I discovered posadas a little late in life. The first time I ever participated in one was when I was 15 and a freshman in high school, a sharp contrast to my peers who had done the novena-like procession for as long as they could remember. I remember standing amongst those gathered for the annual posada put on by the Vocations Office of the Diocese of El Paso and being in awe of their known responses. I was a little embarrassed that at an ancient age of 15 I didn’t know the songs sung or even the prayers said and sung in rapid succession.

As I followed two much younger children dressed as Mary and Joseph around the little square of the diocese’s seminary, I was struck by the unique humility that Mary and Joseph had to ask for lodging. For the first time, I understood how scary their situation was and how brave they must have been. Like attending a Passion Play, the very act of watching these children process around the square drove the simplicity and humility of these saintly figures into my mind’s eye.

What is a Posada?

I am no expert in posadas. Although I do love them, as I previously mentioned, I do not have the same experience with them as many of my peers. However, from what I can piece together from my participation in a couple of them there is a formula, just like those that are present in Stations of the Cross. Some of you may recognize the tradition from its depiction in Disney’s “The Three Caballeros” where a small group of children gather for a party.

Before that point, the group travels around a small or large area, depending upon the perseverance of the group, singing Christmas carols and a song about pilgrimage. Eventually the group makes a stop at a place where a member of the group awaits. “Joseph” then knocks on the door, and in a song that is taken up by the fellow travelers, asks if there is any room. The awaiting member of the group sings back that there is no room.

Depending on the posada, the group then moves on to another door or remains at the same one. Either way, the process is repeated a second time. It is only on the third time of the singing that the “innkeeper” indicates that there is only but a little room in the stable. The awaiting member of the group then ushers the entirety of the group inside to have a small party. Sometimes there is a piñata and lots of candy, but always there is the singing of Christmas carols.

My Notre Dame Experience

After my initial interaction with posadas, I fell in love with them. They symbolize to me the beauty of the season. The ritual of singing and patiently waiting for the response filled me with the expectant nature of Christmas. In a special way, Notre Dame plays a part in my love affair with posadas.

The very next year, after my initial introduction, the Notre Dame Club of El Paso held their own posada. There we prayed for the students still at school completing their finals, for those within the Notre Dame community who were sick or needed prayer, and finally for future students. Of course, it was followed by wonderful food, the thought of which makes me teary-eyed and homesick.

The part that stuck out in my mind were the different candles lit for each of the groups being prayed for. As a student now, I have felt their prayers going into finals, and I am always reminded of the green candle that was lit for the entirety of the Notre Dame family. Each time that I think about this memory, I am filled with hope that one day I will also be a part of the alumni family and will give back to the current students if only through prayer.

Notre Dame’s Offering

Here at the University, there is the opportunity to engage with fellow classmates in this beautiful tradition. Starting Tuesday, December 1st at 9:30 pm, members of the Notre Dame family will process from the Grotto to another location on campus. This posada will be offered on Wednesday and Thursday as well. Each night, different prayers are offered and it becomes a novena of sorts. However, if you can only go to one night, I have found it to be an absolutely amazing experience.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Down in El Paso there lived a little girl who dreamed of the snow. She got to ND and now dreams of the sun.