This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I love Notre Dame. Sometimes I’m a grumpy old senior and I forget how beautiful campus really is.

Usually I’m honestly not the biggest fan of Halloween. People tend to get drunker, some think its okay to make comments they usually wouldn’t make, etc. etc. BUT this Halloween was amazing.

For starters, it probably had to do with the fact that I didn’t go to a generic party but one hosted by one of my best friends where most of the people were at least acquaintances. But oh my goodness it was fantastic. Everyone was so, so creative! There were a couple of the classic bunnies, cats, and Supermans. But there were a couple of nerdy costumes. We saw some Star Wars, and there was a Ken Boone (of presidential debate fame.) For me though, the best costume was a group of friends who dressed up as the emotions from Inside Out.

At first I was very confused as to what they were as I saw them mingling individually. However at one point in the night they all assembled into a little corner and it was perfection. The best part was you could tell that some of them had simply taken some of the things they had and put them together. Definitely a win for a crew costume.

This is the part where I get annoying and nostalgic. I feel that Halloween, like life, goes through many stages. At first there’s the baby costume that is always adorable. No, seriously I have never seen a baby costume I didn’t like…except maybe once when the cutie was dressed as Chuckie. Next, you have the kid’s costume where it’s all about capturing their favorite characters or something they just really like. These are the years of Elsas, rainbows, cowboys, princesses, etc. My favorite costume as a kid was definitely my ewok costume. It was a hand-me-down from one of my siblings and at the time I thought I was just like a talking bear, but now I can look back with appreciation and joy. From the joys of childhood there comes the teen years. Arguably the hardest to dress for. You want to be cool, but also original; sassy but not scandalous, and sadly this is the time when some decide to desert costumes all together. All the power to them, often the non-costumes are some of the wittiest ones. So far the one that made me laugh the hardest the first time I saw it was one with a sign that said protesting nudist. Hilarious. High school is when the store-bought and time-consuming costumes also become popular. As a kid, just send me out in a mask with my jack-o-lantern candy bucket and I was as happy as a clam. But in high school I wished to be one of the “cool” kids that either had the talent (and dedication) to make the beautiful detailed costume, or the ones who would buy the beautiful bought ones and display them with pride.

After the pressure of high school though comes my favorite part: college costumes. Their own category on Pinterest, these are the DIY last minute through together costumes that take a little bit of mad genius, a pinch of planning talent, and a heck of a lot of luck that are all their own. I love college costumes and will miss them. Fueled by the need to accessorize for the many different types of college party, Halloween is like the runway show for creativity for college kids. At Notre Dame it is often a play of obscure, adorably nerdy references, mixed with the standard expected costumes. I love that people wear their costumes without a morsel of embarrassment and sport them with true excitement. From minions to Christmas trees I love it all, thanks Notre Dame for making a little nerd like me feel cool for just one night.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1234567

Down in El Paso there lived a little girl who dreamed of the snow. She got to ND and now dreams of the sun.