A Novel Idea: 4 Book/Coffee Pairings for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I know, I know… College students read a lot. We’re constantly fielding a barrage of words and strung-together thoughts, whether they’re scribbled illegibly on a chalkboard or typed, to quote the favorite words of every professor, “in the syllabus.” But when was the last time you read because you actually wanted to, because an intriguing book cover caught your eye from its slanted place on the shelf? When did you last read for pleasure?

In case reading your finance textbook cover to cover isn’t quite doing it for you (no hard feelings, Carl), have no fear — I’ve compiled a list of must-reads and most-loveds that you won’t need to face armed with a highlighter. Instead, pour yourself that literary latte you’ve been craving and choose accordingly, since nothing pairs better with a good book than an even better cup of coffee.

Book: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Just as Starbucks reveled in its cult success as Pumpkin Spice Lattes became a staple of fall lovers everywhere, Gillian Flynn had her own popular work of genius. Her novel, soon turned feature film, Gone Girl spent eight weeks atop the New York Times Bestseller list and was described as “the biggest literary phenomenon of 2012.” Everyone and their mother has read it, and although the fame is rightly deserved, it’s time for something new.

Enter, Dark Places. This 2009 mystery novel of Flynn’s tells an intense tale of murder and cult presence in an impoverished rural Kansas town, where protagonist Libby Day must confront the details of a family massacre that killed everyone but her 8-year-old self. It’s heavy stuff and, just like her other works, offers a flashback-filled ride with plenty of unforeseen twists and turns along the way. Not to mention there’s a 2015 movie release in the works. Also, shameless plug for Kansas.

Pair with a Toasted Graham Latte for a fresh take on your favorites.

Book: Why Not Me? By Mindy Kaling

So maybe you’re looking for something a little sunnier. The first wave of midterms is passing, and you’re feeling lighthearted, free, and in the mood to tweet the lyrics to “Feelin’ Myself”. You’ve exhausted all your summery beach reads and watched one-too-many Amy Schumer monologues on Comedy Central, but your thirst for more humor has yet to be quenched. While hanging on to the last dredges of summer’s heat, cool off with cool girl Mindy Kaling.

Her newest collection of essays touches on everything from her rise to a “little bit” famous person, to the guise of effortlessness, to a fling with a White House professional. It’s witty, it’s down-to-earth, and it’s just the right amount of honest. Basically, this memoir is the closest thing you’ll get to sharing stories and best friend milkshakes with Mindy Kaling (which is probably for the best, considering her quips would probably have your milkshake snorting right out of your nose).

Pair with a Passion Tea Lemonade to keep the good vibes rolling.

Book: Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

Inside of every one of us, independent of the questionable decisions we may make on Thursday evenings — or rather, initiated by them and brought to life in an animated 2am Reckers conversation– is a deep thinker. We as human beings are innately curious, always asking the tough questions and wondering what else is out there for us to discover. We put on wide-rimmed glasses, sip our bitter coffee and ask: where do we find meaning in life? Why does nature work in the mysterious ways it does? How can South Bend possibly be so cold? What would happen if I tried to smash this can of Keystone Light on my head?

Although some of these are better left unanswered, psychiatrist and Holocaust survivor Viktor Frankl tackled the first in his 1946 book Man’s Search for Meaning. As one of the “ten most influential books in the United States,” his account begins with the chronicles of his experience as a prisoner within the walls of Auschwitz and proceeds to analyze how, amidst immense suffering, they discovered purpose as a coping mechanism.  His horrific experiences led him to a new school of thinking called logotherapy, which was based on our innate drive for meaning as the key to surviving and thriving.

Brew a strong cup of black coffee before you delve into this one, no room for cream.

Book: Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

I can hear the groans rumbling already. The flashbacks of high school AP Lit teachers looming over your desk and raving about “symbolism” and “diction;” the scantron bubble after filled-in scantron bubble about the “underlying tone” in a book you almost entirely Sparknoted. Chances are high that Catch-22 was one such book. When I ambitiously jumped into the 1961 satirical novel last summer, I had no idea what discombobulation of character names, infinitely intertwined plot lines, and dry, often easily overlooked humor awaited me.

Set during World War II and laced with plenty of dry skepticism, it follows Captain Yossarian and the rest of the U.S. Army Squadron as they struggle to maintain their already-waning sanity and do everything they can to remove themselves from the war effort. With more characters than the current Republican candidacy ballot (and who seem to make even less sense), it takes a little getting used to. But then again, that’s the beauty of the book. When you start to wonder if any of this is actually supposed to make sense, the tangled plot lines finally begin to thread together and create something worthwhile. Give this time-worn classic another chance, if nothing else because it’ll heighten your literary street cred.

Order a Grande, Iced, Sugar-Free, Vanilla Latte with soy milk to accompany you. Although incredibly obnoxious at first sip, we all know it’s actually your guilty pleasure.

Happy reading and coffee sipping! Xoxo, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Katie Eilert

Notre Dame

Katie Eilert is a sophomore at the University of Notre Dame, where she is studying Marketing with minors in Poverty Studies and indecisiveness. She hails from Kansas City (the Kansas side, hold the Wizard of Oz references) but currently resides with the Chaos of Cavanaugh Hall, and she never stops talking about either one. She is an avid college basketball fan to make up for her own lack of hand-eye coordination and spends the rest of her time thinking of terrible puns, running, reading, and drinking too much coffee. Go Irish!