Notre Dame Class of 2018 Raises Expectations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It seems as though every year, each new incoming class at Notre Dame gets stronger as the applicant pool becomes more and more competitive. Average test scores increase, along with the number of students in the top 1 to 2 percent of their senior classes applying to Notre Dame from all fifty states and across the globe.

Donald Bishop, associate vice president for undergraduate enrollment here at Notre Dame describes the Class of 2018 as “a more qualified pool than ever.” It sounds like these incoming First Years have some high expectations to fulfill in the next four years!

According to the Notre Dame Office of Admissions, the high school class of 2014 became Notre Dame’s most selective class statistically due to the dramatic increase in the quality of applicants. Compared to the Class of 2017, who will be sophomores in the fall, the Class of 2018 had only a 1.5 percent increase in the number of applicants. 

However, the percentage of “highest ability” applicants skyrocketed 15 percent compared to the Class of 2017. This category of applicants ranks among the top 2 percent in the United States based on standardized test scores, which has forced admissions officers to take a deeper look into each application.

There was also a 17 percent increase in the percentage of applicants ranked in the top 1 percent in class performance and/or national test scores. All of these factors contributed to a 1 percent decrease in admission, from 22 to 21 percent of applicants awarded acceptance overall.

In addition to the increase in selectivity, the Class of 2018 boasts even more geographic diversity than the Class of 2017 both in the United States and internationally. 

Comparatively, there was a slight 2 percent increase in the number of international students, from 5 percent to 7 percent. Last year’s freshman class made Notre Dame history due to its record-breaking 26 percent composition of students of color. This year’s incoming class continues to break records with a robust 30 percent composition of students of color.

In order to effectively select students from an already qualified pool, admissions officers devised what they call an “EQ,” or “emotional quotient.” Bishop describes this emotional quotient as the “potential for leadership and service to others,” which supports Notre Dame’s mission to admit those who they believe have the ability to serve others and positively impact the world during and beyond their college years.

Notre Dame prides itself in its mission to service, and admissions officers value applicants who demonstrate this type of leadership or potential to serve in high school. It is students with these values that tend to grow, prosper, and contribute to the Notre Dame community.

With its outstanding academic performance combined with geographic and ethnic diversity, the Class of 2018 has all the attributes necessary to positively impact both Notre Dame and eventually, the world.

We can’t wait to see what the future holds for you all.  Congratulations Class of 2018 and welcome to your new home under the dome! 

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook
Image provided by author.
Source 1, 2, 3