This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As in past football seasons, the all too familiar “Play Like a Champion Today” shirts have reemerged at tailgates accessorized with face stickers and the Fighting Irish pride we all wear so well. However, this fall a new trend has cropped up that many thought died in the 90s: fanny packs.

Is it really game day if you’re not wearing a sparkly, spirited fanny pack?

Let me just point out that I was way ahead of this trend. In 2013, I ordered a fanny pack from American Eagle. I mostly did it because it was on sale for $8 or something ridiculously cheap like that, but nonetheless I was pretty surprised when a couple years later my no-doubt chic fanny pack style had caught on.

Notice the fanny pack.

Now everywhere there are fanny packs. They might not be used day to day here, but the pictures from Welcome Weekend made it clear what all the dorms would be including in their fall apparel order.

Walsh was on this trend before football season even began.

The question is… why the heck are fanny packs so in now?

They are extremely practical for places like amusement parks, hiking, tourism and, of course, sporting events. Except if we were wearing them strictly for practicality, that means cargo shorts would also be approved of… so no, thank you.

As far as their appearance, we think they’re cute because they are in style right now, but aesthetically, are they really? I think that they do add a certain spunk to outfits, if that makes sense. They aren’t so large and showy that they ruin an outfit. Compared to other trends, they are relatively subtle. Whether something is cute or not is subjective, but it seems to me that on the scale of gauchos to feather locks (gauchos being the worst obvi), these might even surpass feather locks, which were pretty edgy. Fanny packs are actually a genuinely adorable trend.

The most reasonable explanation for why they have resurfaced would probably be because that’s what trends do time and time again. It just so happens that this 80s fad also has some functionality to it.

First of all, there is no fear of losing your purse or leaving any essentials sitting anywhere. I know that when I have a jacket on with a pocket, my phone and wallet feel a lot more secure. Fanny packs provide a way to maintain this security with any ensemble.

Secondly, they’re pretty small. Most of my purses are really just a bottomless pit full of receipts and old lip balms. A fanny pack can hold your student ID, some cash, your keys and your phone. Unless you need to carry around a small animal or umbrella, a fanny pack should suffice.

One of my favorite things about fanny packs is how many different styles there are. You can rep your school/dorm/sorority or get a pattern that matches your personality. Spikes, camo, a nice name brand; whatever floats your fancy.

Some haters out there are thinking “This is just some ugly, tacky fad. Why would we dig up a horrendous accessory from the 80s?”  Other than the above mentioned reasons, I would keep in mind that it isn’t just college girls wearing them. Celebrities have been sporting fanny packs, including Fergie and Rihanna and those hipster music festivals like Coachella also showcase them.

Matthew McConaughey proves that men are not excluded from this trend.

Kylie Jenner with an edgy fanny pack at Coachella. 

The moral of the story is fanny packs are bomb. If you prefer to carry around a hulking bag, have at it. If you want to be a cool kid, wear a fanny pack, at least for now.

Images: 1, 2 (provided by Hannah Dunn), 3 (provided by writer), 4 (provided by Notre Dame student), 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.