Must-See Movies for Christmas Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s almost that time – in just a few days, you’ll be at home, relaxing in your bed doing and an overwhelming amount of absolutely nothing. As glorious as that sounds, after a little while, you’re going to be looking for a reason to do anything other than make microwave nachos for the billionth time since you arrived home. This is when you need movies the most.

Going to the theatre is is a low-stress way to get out of the house and treat yo’ self. Even better, movie dates make great Christmas gifts, so treat yo’ friend and bring them along with you. It’s as easy as getting someone you care about, grabbing a bucket of popcorn, and going through this list to pick out the perfect movie for your break-away-from-Christmas-break. 

James Bond: Spectre

James Bond movies are always a classic choice. Our favorite secret agent is still fighting shadow organizations, but with a new M (Ralph Fiennes). After the success of Skyfall, Spectre has a lot of expectations to live up to, but we know that Daniel Craig as Bond never fails to deliver. This is perfect for when you need some action and excitement during the gray days of winter.

Sisters

Amy Poehler and Tina Fey are taking on another comedy together. Need I say more? This is the obvious choice for when you want to hang out and de-stress with your girlfriends from home, or when you simply need a good laugh. 

Macbeth

In response to more Modern Shakespeare renditions, this version of Macbeth plays up the medieval and somewhat-primitive aspects of revenge and war in this timeless tragedy. This is a Game of Thrones-esque Shakespearean classic with Michael Fassbender and the ever-perfect Marion Cotillard, and is perfect for when you’re craving a movie with highly complex characters and an even more twisted plot.

Brooklyn

Brooklyn is a love story about a small-town Irish immigrant that moves to the big city in the 50’s. Eventually she has to choose between a future in America and going back to Ireland. If you’re feeling nostalgic or in the mood for a romance, this movie will have you reminiscing about loving home but also finding yourself in a place away from it.

Creed

According to Chris Nashawaty from Entertainment Weekly, “[this movie] more than preserves the Rocky franchise. It reminds you why it was great in the first place.” And how could it not? To say the least, the plot is promising – it’s about Rocky coming back to train Apollo Creed’s son, Adonis. Starring Michael B. Jordan and Sylvester Stallone, this is a pick for one of those days in early January when the beginning of the semester is looming near and you need to hype yourself up for another few months of hard work.

Sherlock: The Abominable Bride

So this technically isn’t a movie, but how can you say no to a movie-length program that you can watch from home on TV or online? Not to mention that we get to see how Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman bring their characters back to 1890’s London in this break from the normal Sherlock series. This will hopefully hold you over for the next season, which is beginning production in 2016, and will also save you a trip to the theatre, giving you a chance to get the family together to watch it.

Spotlight

Starring Michael Keaton, Mark Ruffalo, and Rachel McAdams, this is the obvious choice for when you want to watch some prime acting performances. About the 2002 Boston Globe exposé against the Boston archdiocese, this is not just another newsroom film – it points out issues not only in society but in how the media handles them.  

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Arguably the most anticipated movie of the season, this will be a great way to celebrate finishing finals! In the 7th Star Wars installment, Han Solo, Luke, and Leia will be interacting with new characters years after Episode VI finished. And from what it looks like, this movie is not going to disappoint!

Happy watching – HCXO!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7