Style

Must-Have Accessories for Tailgate Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s that time of the year again when everyone seems to have a bit more pep in their step. The transition from summer to fall every year is notable for many reasons. I’m not talking about the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte—I’m talking about the return of the season that beats all seasons. That’s right, I’m talking about football season.

College football, especially Notre Dame football, is celebrated by generations old and young. Fans gather around their TV’s, host barbeques or even wake up at the crack of dawn to push their way through the crowds for their 30 seconds of fame in the background of a College GameDay broadcast—all in support of the Fighting Irish. But there is no better way to rally behind the Irish than with a good old fashioned tailgate. Here are some must-have accessories to get you ready for tailgate season:

Clear Bag

With an increasing number of stadiums introducing clear bag policies, having a place to keep your personal belongings is becoming more challenging. As an alternative to trying to stuff everything into your virtually non-existent pockets, opt for a chic clear crossbody or fanny pack. For an added level of personalization, monogram your clear bag as I did above. Not only will your things stay safe with you, but you’ll earn style points as well.

Tinted Glasses

Allow me to say this first: these glasses are not sunglasses and will not block the sun! That being said, these tinted glasses are plain old fun! The first time I wore these, I wasn’t sure they would be a hit. But after my friends kept stealing them off my face to try on, I knew they were a tailgate must-have. These come in a variety of colors and are the perfect addition to any tailgate outfit.

Tube Tops

Tube tops are definitely the easiest item to throw on for an instantly cute tailgate outfit. There really is no way that you could go wrong with a good tube top. Whether it’s sparkly sequins (like the one I am wearing in this picture) or even an upcycled old shirt, tube tops can be worn with shorts, skirts, jeans or really anything and you will be tailgate-ready in seconds.

Bandanas

Who doesn’t have a bandana already sitting in the back of their closet? Bandanas aren’t just for rodeos anymore. Let it be known that tailgate season will feature the return of the bandana. Tie it around your neck, use it as a headband or hair scarf, there are so many ways to fashion a bandana that it’s quite unfathomable. So break out that old bandana in your closet for an extra touch.

Temporary/Sticker Tattoos

Not quite ready to commit to writing “Go Irish!” on your cheek for all of eternity? Thank goodness for temporary tattoos. Find these at any bookstore or even Amazon, smack one onto your face or arm and then you’re ready to cheer on your team. Keep in mind that the temporary tattoos that use water for application might take off some of your make-up.

Glitter

Glitter isn’t just for Coachella, ladies! Head over to anywhere that sells craft supplies to get yourself ready for your next tailgate. Use something sticky that is safe for your skin to adhere the glitter (I typically opt for sunscreen, lip gloss, setting spray or hair gel) and apply to the high points of your cheeks like you would with highlighter. Add some to your chest for an extra pop of sparkle!

Mardi Gras Beads

Mardi Gras beads are great for many reasons, but the reason that I love them is that I never actually have to buy them. Wherever you are, it is highly likely that you will have these thrown at you. Make sure you don’t just throw them away after but keep them to wear for other tailgates. They’re a super fun way to show your spirit and they come in most school colors.

Pleated Skirt

The pleated skirt is no doubt my favorite tailgate staple. As a former cheerleader, wearing a pleated skirt at a tailgate is the closest I’ll ever come to cheering again. It’s no secret why every college girl seems to be wearing them. They are ADORABLE! I borrowed this Notre Dame cheer skirt from one of my friends, but I also just bought a white pleated skirt that I’m looking forward to wearing this tailgate season.

These are only a few of my favorite tailgate accessories, but nonetheless they are MUST-HAVES for tailgate season. Even if you don’t attend the best school in the nation (cough, cough, Notre Dame), you can still rock all of these items at your next tailgate!

Sarah Duarte

Notre Dame '22

Hey I’m Sarah Duarte! I am majoring in History with minors in Digital Marketing and Constitutional Studies at the University of Notre Dame. I’m also a Zumba instructor and am from Southern California.