Much Ado About Navy: A History of Respect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

If you learn one thing this week from Yik Yak, let it be this: Notre Dame loves football. Notre Dame loves Navy. Notre Dame REALLY loves football with Navy.

It sounds simple, but any outsider gains the impression that this is no ordinary rivalry. Our uniforms say “Respect”, but the dynamic between the two teams is so much more than that. ND and Navy are like the JD and Turk of college football. 

The spirit of the bromance was felt all across campus on Saturday. The fans of both teams donned blue and gold, Domers and Midshipmen mingled and tailgated together before the game, and the cloudless 65-degree weather contributed to the ideal gameday atmosphere. 

However, this football friendship isn’t exactly new. Ever since 1927, the two teams have faced each other every year in what is now the oldest rivalry in college football. That’s kind of a big deal. 

But our rivalry with Navy isn’t only important because it’s practically ancient (in football terms), but also because they played a pivotal role in the history of our football team. During World War II, Navy established a training program at Notre Dame. Economic times were tough, but the payment for the facilities helped keep both the football program and the University running. Ever since then, we have met them on the field every year in order to show our respect and thanks for helping us through hard times. 

Between 1964 and 2007, Notre Dame held a 43-game win streak, which ended in an overtime play in South Bend. While Irish fans were disappointed to see it end, there’s no one we would have rather lost to than Navy.

The rivalry is important to me personally as well. Last year, I stood in the stands of FedEx field in Maryland for the game, freezing cold and yelling until my voice was gone. I had just sent in my application for Notre Dame and all I could think about was whether or not at the next game I’d be standing in the student section. 

At the end of the game, the teams join in for each other’s alma mater in a moment of camaraderie and mutual respect. It’s refreshing to actually like (ok, love) the team that you’re playing, which is probably why this game is one of the best of the season.

Now that the weekend is over and midterms are upon us, we’ll miss the “USA” chants, the Yik Yak compliment war, making new friends at tailgates, and, of course, the uniforms (!!!). 

Until next time, Navy!

Love thee “Navy Dame” 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1234

Sources: 12