andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meeting the Parents: Your Top Holiday Questions Answered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The holidays are a wonderful time of the year. They’re a time to express your love and appreciation for all the individuals and relationships in your life. Memories are made, food (and limitless amounts of it) is eaten, laughs are shared, and time is spent away from all the stressors and pressures of everyday life. This entire dynamic changes, however, when you spend the holidays at your significant other’s parents’ house for the first time. All of a sudden that stress resurfaces through fears of disappointment and embarrassment pulsing through your veins.  Here are some of the answers to those stress-inducing questions that you may have about that first meeting. 

What do I wear?

You should wear something modest, classy, sophisticated and comfortable! Girls, you want to show off your cute figure and wear something that you feel confident in. I would advise against something that is too short or shows over-the-top cleavage. I would also suggest not wearing anything too tight, not because you don’t want to show off your banging figure but because you want to be able to eat without having to worry about feeling uncomfortable or self-conscious. 

Personally, I am a fan of flared dresses and skirts with a tighter, flattering top and a statement necklace, similar to the clothing below. I also think that the decision between heels and flats is up to you – just be sure to wear comfortable heels as you do not know whether or not you will be able to take off your shoes inside the house. Guys, you should definitely wear a nice button down or sweater with slacks and dress shoes. You do not necessarily need a tie, but you definitely need to shower, do your hair and smell great. 

What do I take?

I think this depends on the situation and the audience that you will be with. If you will be around an older crowd, a nice bottle of wine paired with some flowers for his mother is always appreciated. If you know that there will be a bunch of kids, you should maybe make some oreo rolls or cake balls! It’s a fun, thoughtful gift that I’m sure everyone would appreciate. 

What are some conversation subjects that I can use/should stay away from?

You should definitely try to get to know the family, so any conversations about careers, memories, and school are definitely recommended. You will want to stay away from politics, religion and money until you know the situation a little better.  

How Should I Act?

BE YOURSELF…with some reservations. Just make sure you don’t cuss, burp, fart, or make crude jokes. Make your mom proud and use those manners like never before!

How Much PDA is Acceptable?

You can hug and hold hands, and a quick peck here and there should be okay! You should really just read the situation. I would just recommend you do not have any kind of sex (oral, vaginal or anal), and you really shouldn’t have a major make-out session either. 

How Much Can I Drink?

It’s acceptable to maybe have a beer or a glass of wine (or two). I just wouldn’t suggest you get intoxicated. You don’t want to say or do something to embarrass yourself.

Hope this helps, my lovely readers! HCNDXO!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4