Looking Beyond News: Remembering Chapel Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Tuesday night, February 10th, 2015, three Muslim students of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, his wife, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, 21, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, were killed by a man named Craig Hicks, 46, who claims that the murders were over an ongoing parking dispute.   

Despite the claim that these senseless murders were over a parking dispute there is huge speculation that these murders were motivated by Islamophobia. Islamophobia which is the dislike of or prejudice against Islam or Muslims, especially as a political force, is something that has been on the upswing ever since 9/11. It is often the motivation for terrible unjustified murders, discriminatory practices, and prejudices all based on the actions of a few Muslim, Islamic extremists.

These murders, have spurred a discussion that seldom gets attention and that is, the prevalent islamophobia within our society. These murders are indicative of a larger problem in our society which is the pervasive violence that is all too often hate motivated. We must acknowledge that we too are part of the problem. We are part of a society that perpetuates islamophobia and hatred.

Many of us like to think of ourselves as the exception to these societal problems, we are accepting of all people and loving towards all. But how often do we stereotype and generalize a whole religion on the actions of a few extremists? We need to think about our prejudices and the stereotypes we often hold whether subconscious or blatantly obvious. We need to work to eliminate them by acknowledging that they are there and actively trying to change our views. 

It is very disheartening that in order to create discussion about issues like islamophobia and hate, people have to die. Despite the terrible platform some of these discussions arise from it is great that people are talking and showing their support in order to combat hate.

We need to continue this discussion and not let it subside into the past. Be accepting of all people, loving of all people, respectful of all people, but remember that in order to establish these things we must not be simple bystanders of this change, rather active participants. We must not forget the deaths of Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha. Their memory must live on through their friends, family, and each and every one of us. We must be intolerant of hate and accepting of love, for all. 

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images 1, 2, 3

Political Science and Philosophy Major. Freshman at the University of Notre Dame.