Light It Up Blue for Autism Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Happy April, HCND! In case you didn’t know, April is Autism Awareness Month, with April 2 as the official World Autism Awareness Day. During the entire month of April, especially on April 2, thousands of people across the nation and the world participate in what is known as Light It Up Blue. 

What is Light It Up Blue, you may ask? Established in 2007 by the United Nations, the Light It Up Blue campaign exists to spreads awareness and understanding of autism. The campaign seeks to highlight (hence “light it up” blue) autism as a growing global health priority. Currently, about one out of 68 American children are diagnosed with autism, a significant increase from the amount of diagnoses 40 years ago. It also brings attention to the needs of all people with autism. 

However, the Light It Up Blue campaign doesn’t simply raise awareness of this increasingly diagnosed condition; it also celebrates and honors the unique talents and skills of people with autism. People with autism are no less important, special, and valued than their non-autistic peers.   

Every year on World Autism Awareness Day, as part of Light It Up Blue, thousands of iconic landmarks, skyscrapers, schools, businesses and homes across the globe unite by shining bright blue lights in honor of the millions of individuals and families affected by autism. Blue is the official color of autism awareness, hence why the color was chosen.  

This year, some of the many landmarks that will participate in the campaign on April 2 include the Panama Canal, the Empire State Building, Christ the Redeemer Statue, and even the International Space Station!  

However, you don’t have to be a famous landmark to Light it Up Blue! Many individuals also wear blue on April 2 in order to show their support for friends, family, or anyone who has autism. If you want to participate in Light It Up Blue, you can do the same and even post pictures on social media using the hashtag #LIUB! 

Light It Up Blue, HCND!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

Images: 1, 2, 3

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.