It’s the Most Wonderful Music of the Year! Top Songs for the Christmas Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Tis the season to be jolly because tis the season of Christmas music!! Whether it’s a timeless classic or a recent cover, good Christmas music can’t help but put you in the holiday mood. Here are, in my opinion, some of the best Christmas songs out there (although there are many more than what I have listed!!). 

It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas (Bing Crosby version) 

This song captures the feeling of what it’s like to start the holiday season. It seems like everywhere you go, Christmas decorations are popping up faster than you can say “a partridge in a pear tree”. Definitely the Bing Crosby cover is the way to go. This, and any Christmas song lucky enough to be covered by him, is pure gold. 

Christmas Time is Here (from Charlie Brown Christmas- Vince Guardali Trio) 

I grew up watching a Charlie Brown Christmas, so there is a certain amount of nostalgia associated with this song for me. Even if you haven’t seen the film, this is a really pleasant holiday chorus that is worth hearing.  

Sleigh Ride 

This song is fun and peppy, and the use of bells and special sounds effects (the whip and horse neighing) really help set the scene of a sleigh cruising through a wintry landscape. I think the song is great with or without singing.  

Christmas Canon and Christmas/Sarajevo (Trans Siberian Orchestra) 

The Trans Siberian orchestra combines classical music with rock, creating an intense instrumental ensemble. Christmas/Sarajevo is essentially the most invigorating version of Carol of the Bells I have ever heard, and Christmas Canon turns Pachabel’s Canon into a beautiful Christmas piece. 

Do You Hear What I Hear? 

This song is about the spread of the news of Jesus’ birth. It can be a real showcase of a singer’s range if done right, starting sweetly and softly and growing in momentum and power until “the mighty king” announces the birth of Christ to “all the people everywhere”. The lyrics are well-written too; like a giant game of telephone, each character offers a different perspective, but all convey the birth of Jesus to the listener. 

O Holy Night 

I. LOVE. THIS. SONG. It’s so moving and gorgeous, and if the vocalist opts for the high note at the end, the world stops, and everything in that moment is perfect. Okay, maybe that’s a bit dramatic, but this is definitely one of the best Christmas carols out there! 

I recommend listening to these songs if you haven’t before and finding others that are equally good or better! This is only a sampling of the great Christmas music out there!

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Katie Surine

Notre Dame

Katie is a senior (where did the time go???!!!) living in Lewis Hall. From Baltimore, MD, Katie is pursuing a double major in Vocal Music and Anthropology. Besides writing for HCND, she sings with Opera Notre Dame, choral groups, and she is a pianist for Lewis Hall weekly Mass and Lucenarium, or "Luce" for short. Other interests include baking, reading, traveling, composing, and all things Italian.