International Women’s Day – “The Gender Agenda: Gaining Momentum”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

“A promise is a promise: Time for action to end violence against women.”
–United Nations, International Women’s Day 2013

In 1909, the Socialist Party of America honored the 1908 garment workers’ strike, in which 15,000 women in New York City marched to protest against their harsh working conditions and lack of voting rights. This marked the first National Women’s Day in the United States. The idea spread internationally in just a few years, and in 1911, International Women’s Day was observed in Copenhagen, Austria, Denmark, Germany, and Switzerland.

The United Nations declared 1975 International Women’s Year followed by the United Nations Decade for Women in 1976-1985. During this time, the UN established the International Research and Training Institute for the Advancement of Women (INSTRAW) and the United Nations Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) with the goal of empowering women, promoting innovation and advancement, and achieving gender equality. The Women’s Studies Resource Centre, a self-proclaimed feminist library, was also established in South Australia in 1975 as a culmination of national effort and international awareness

This year, the United Nations has declared a call to action to end violence against women. In light of the horrifying and unspeakable tragedies against women that pervade today’s society, media, and news, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the UN are advancing the UNiTE to End Violence Against Women campaign. UNiTE is an international campaign encouraging people everywhere – men, women, governments, organizations – to take action to address and prevent violence based on a simple premise: the right to live free of violence is a fundamental human right.

International Women’s Day honors women and their achievements throughout history. It’s a celebration, but it’s also a message. Many groups use this occasion to bring attention to themes and issues relevant globally and locally, such as ending hunger and poverty or promoting participation in science and technology. This day serves to increase awareness about the strides that have been made for women, such as gaining the right to vote and making social advancements, while calling attention to struggles and inequalities that still exist today. Whether it’s the right to equal pay, greater political representation, or nondiscrimination, IWD reminds us that there are still changes that need to be made. There are still injustices that need to be resolved.

Today is International Women’s Day. How are you going to celebrate?

Learn more about International Women’s Day and UNiTE To End Violence Against Women at http://www.internationalwomensday.com/ and  http://endviolence.un.org/

Images: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/60398_494402170622708_369174925_n.png 

www.un.org

Michelle Tin

Notre Dame

Michelle graduated from the University of Notre Dame in May 2014, where she studied health sciences. She was honored to be the assitant editor of HCND for her senior year, and hopes to stay involved in one form or another even after graduation!Michelle can be reached at mtin@alumni.nd.edu or with the personal contact form.