This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

During this time of great chaos and stress, life is very overwhelming. I have definitely found myself more anxious and overwhelmed than usual with everything happening in the world, the pressure of my college courses and figuring out what I am doing with my life after graduation. Below are some useful gentle reminders I have been referencing to find more peace and perspective, and I think everything should hear them right now.

Everything happens for a reason. Rejection is just a way of your life rerouting; it will all work out 

Rejection is hard. Whether it is someone you are interested in not liking you back, or getting rejected from a dream job, it hurts. While it often feels hopeless and there is no way to move forward, rejection is just a way of life directing you in a new path. It is a way of the world telling you you deserve something different, often better. See it as a lesson and think about what you can learn from the rejection. I truly believe everything happens for a reason, and things will work out. I know it hurts, but push through it and try to stay positive. 

Boundaries are essential, and do not require justifications

Boundaries are necessary for a balanced life. They help keep our lives orderly and are necessary for your personal sanity. A justification is not needed for these boundaries. Simply not wanting to do something is sufficient, and you should never feel guilty for boundaries that feel right to you. 

It is never too late to change who you are or what you want to do

Many of us grew up thinking that we had to accomplish certain  things or have a prestigious job to be successful and happy. As we are all growing and learning, it is clear that there are endless ways of life and ways to be happy. It is never too late to change who you want to be, where you want to work, and what impact you want to leave in this world. Change is scary, but it is always an option, and can often be just what you need. 

You are capable of anything

I have noticed a lot of self- depreciation, both in my own head and from observing how my friends talk about themselves. Many goals can seem daunting and unattainable, and as cheesy as it sounds, we are all truly capable of anything we want to achieve. Hard work and passion are certainly necessary, but we are all capable of reaching our goals and becoming who we dream of being. 

All accomplishments, big or small, matter, and you should be proud of them

It is easy to only feel proud of big moments, but we often forget about the countless small achievements that help us reach our big goals. Feel proud of all of these accomplishments. I feel that many of us, myself included, don’t give ourselves enough credit. We should be proud of getting a workout in on a busy day and receiving a good grade on a final. All of these things are contributing to our success and happiness, and are all things to celebrate. Stop being so hard on yourself.

“Stop measuring days by degree of productivity and start experiencing them by degree of presence.” -Alan Watts

This quote is a great reminder for college students. We often plan out our days by what we need to get done and measure our success by how much we get done. While this productivity is important, it should not be the only thing we measure our days by. Being present, enjoying little moments and being self aware are incredibly important and truly lead to a life of success and happiness. Try to be more present in your day, and try to stop measuring the success of your days by how much you get done. You are so much more than how much homework you do. 

Be kind

It is easy to forget to be kind to yourself, and others, when you are stressed and overwhelmed. I for one often get grouchy and just want to be alone. But, being kind to your mind and checking in on others is so important for one’s mental health and for the general climate of our society. With everything going on in the world, we must be easier on ourselves and try to limit negative self talk. We also must try to lead with as much kindness towards ourselves and others, clearly, the world really needs it. 

You are whole just as you are

You do not need a perfect GPA or partner to be complete; you are whole just as you are. This is something I often struggle with as I find myself comparing my life and achievements to others, making myself feel like I need to do more and I am not enough. However, I must remember I am enough and whole just as I am. External achievements and life qualities can add to our lives, but are not necessary. We must remember that we are whole and complete just as we are, and we have total power over our own happiness. Everything we need is within us. 

Cristina Ribera

Notre Dame '21

My name is Cristina Ribera and I am a rising junior at Notre Dame. I am originally from San Francisco, but on campus I live in Welsh Family Hall. I am majoring in American Studies and double minoring in Data Science and Innovation & Entrepreneurship. Writing is a passion of mine, so I am very excited to be writing for Her Campus. I have a blog in which I write about mental health, particularly in college, and I have written for Scholastic Magazine about mental health on campus, among other topics. I can’t wait to delve into more exciting topics and share them with such an incredible community!