This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I’ll be honest, I was never obsessed with the Jonas Brothers when I was younger. I didn’t have their posters on my walls and I didn’t listen to their music beyond the Camp Rock soundtrack; but since they announced their reunion about a year ago, I’ve become a fan. Not only does their album, Happiness Begins, feature some really boppin’ songs, but the Jo Bros have been hilariously sweeping the internet with their TikToks. Last week, they recreated a moment between Kim and Khloe from Keeping Up with the Kardashians and this week they recreated a scene from Camp Rock with each brother playing himself. The Jonas Brothers seem to be having fun back in the spotlight and their music reflects their joy and talent. 

Speaking of their music, they released a new single, “What A Man Gotta Do,” last week with an absolutely fire music video. “What A Man Gotta Do” reminds me of Andy Grammar’s “Honey I’m Good,” which was on all the airwaves during Summer 2015. Both songs have catchy, upbeat tunes, but also lyrics that praise fidelity and the value of a good relationship over random hookups. About 30 seconds into the song, Nick sings: 

“’Cause you got no flaws, no flaws

I’m not tryin’ to be your part-time lover

Sign me up for the full-time, I’m yours, all yours”

Most pop music today doesn’t advocate for men finding the right person and committing to him or her, but rather paints a picture of drunk nights out with a different girl every week; so the Jonas Brothers’ new song is a welcome change. As if to drive the message home, the music video for “What A Man Gotta Do” features the wives of the brothers: Priyanka Chopra, Sophie Turner and Danielle Jonas. 

The three women were also featured in the Jonas Brothers’ video for their hit “Sucker” last year. Their presence in this video perfectly matches the song’s message and also demonstrates their support of their husbands’ return to music. 

The music video for “What A Man Gotta Do” features classic 70s and 80s movies including Risky Business, Grease and Say Anything. Each brother takes one of the films and remakes classic scenes with his wife. For example, Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner play Danny and Sandy in the dance-off scene from Grease. “What A Man Gotta Do” has background beats that mirror “The Hand Jive,” adding another level to the song and video. 

All in all, the Jonas Brothers return is full of fun, positivity and some absolutely great new tunes. I’m obsessed with everything they’re putting out right now, from songs and music videos to TikToks; and I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us next. 

Image 1, 2, 3

Claire Stanecki

Notre Dame '20

A senior at Notre Dame studying Anthropology and Spanish, Claire is an avid reader, choral music enthusiast, adventure seeker, tea aficionado, and Chicago native.