How to Make Your Mom Feel Special on Mother’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

“A mother is she who can take the place of all others, but whose place no one else can take.”

This year, finals week ends just in time to celebrate your fabulous moms on May 10th, a.k.a. Mother’s Day! With the craziness that comes with the end of a school year – finishing final papers and projects, prepping for exams, and trying to survive everything in between – you might not have even had time to spare a thought about Mother’s Day. Since all moms are unique, it can be especially difficult to come up with something to give your mom that you know she’ll enjoy. But deciding what to do or give your mom doesn’t have to be stressful – check out some of these ideas to ensure that this year’s Mother’s Day will be especially memorable. 

If you want to give an easy-to-make gift that’s still filled with lots of love …

Try a homemade gift with lots of personalization that you know your mom will enjoy. Some DIY crafts on Pinterest take forever to make – and as busy college students, we don’t necessarily have tons of time to spare.

A great gift option is a homemade gift basket. These special presents are easy to put together, inexpensive, and can be personalized so you know that your mom will love it! You can choose a from variety of themes, like “Movie Night” or “Spa Day,” or simply fill it with some of her favorite things. If you’re at a loss for what to fill your basket with, wander through the aisles of Target to get some inspiration. (That store has just about everything you need.)

Still can’t think of what to include in a gift basket? Check out this “Mom’s Time Out Beauty Basket” idea here

If your mom has a green thumb…

I absolutely love the idea of hand-painted flowerpots as a Mother’s Day gift. They’re so springy, simple to make, and are sure to perk up your home just in time for the summer. Head over to your local craft store and pick up a pot, colorful paint, and some brushes and you’ll be ready to let out your inner Picasso! After the pot dries, you can plant your mom’s favorite flower or spice.

Want to try something a little different? Check out this cool tutorial on how to make pretty floral fabric-covered pots – you can find it here

If you don’t have lots of time but still want to give a personalized gift…

As busy collegiettes, we can all understand that sometimes there’s just not enough time to make your mom a gift at home – and that’s okay! Just because something is store bought doesn’t mean that it can’t be a meaningful gift from the heart.

That’s why I love these books that you can personalize for your mom. Tell her just why she is the best mother of all time and you two can reminisce on some of your favorite memories together. These two books – found here and here – can be found at Francesca’s Boutiques (we have one in South Bend’s University Park Mall!).

Another simple but meaningful gift is a photo of your mom and you in a fun frame. I promise this isn’t a sponsored post, but Francesca’s has some adorable picture frames specifically for moms and grandmas – perfect for Mother’s Day! You can also find some great frames at Hobby Lobby, Target, or Hallmark. Just add a candid pic of you and your mom and you’ll be set to go!

If your mom’s favorite accessory is her cell phone or iPad…

Does your mom love to stay connected to friends, coworkers, and family? Is she constantly checking her email, scrolling through pictures of her nieces and nephews on Facebook, or calling to check up on you while you’re away at college? If this sounds like your mom, then why not give her a cute new phone or iPad case to keep her gadgets safe?

I love this case for its bright floral pattern (always a great accent to an outfit), this case because you can never go wrong with a little touch of ND pride, and this one if you want your mom to always remember just how much you appreciate her! This gift is so easy because there are countless different kinds of cases to choose from. You can find tech cases in many stores and on countless websites, so feel free to peruse the market to find the perfect case for your mom’s gadgets.

If your mom loves her daily dose of caffeine…

Get her an eye-catching mug or tumbler. Chances are she’ll get a lot of use out of it, and every time she takes a sip she’ll think about how much she loves you! This mug will show everyone just how awesome she is, this one is sure to always remind her of you, and this one is a unique addition to her collection that will be sure to get lots of compliments. 

If your mom doesn’t want a gift…

On every holiday my mom always tells my dad and I, “I don’t need anything – just your love.” While this may be true, it makes gift giving a lot harder. But if you’ve exhausted all your creativity for gift-giving in the past years or you are running dangerously low on money (#brokecollegestudent), try doing something for your mom instead of giving her something.

If you love being in the kitchen, on Mother’s Day morning make your mother her favorite breakfast. Whether it’s sweet French toast, fluffy Belgian waffles, or classic eggs and bacon, your mom is sure to love it because you took time to make it for her. (Extra points for serving it to her in bed or setting the table with pretty placemats and fresh flowers!)

Not much of a chef? Try doing all of the daily chores for her on this special day – wash dishes, do laundry, and vacuum the house – just to name a few ideas. Let her know that this is her day to relax by doing everything for her, so she’ll have no choice but to kick back and unwind.

On top of the chores you can do and the food you can make, spend a little extra time with your mom on Mother’s Day. Sit down for a chat over a cup of coffee or watch a movie together. Since you’re away at school for most months of the year, your mom will enjoy hanging out together and catching up on the exciting events of your life in the Bend.

But no matter what you end up giving or doing for your mom, remember to thank her on Mother’s Day for everything she does. Moms work hard and do lots for us on a daily basis, whether she’s sending us care packages from home, helping us pay tuition to attend this awesome university, or just giving us advice when we need it most – our moms truly are our biggest fans and number one supporters since birth. Show her you love her in whatever way you can on May 10th!

XOXO, HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hey, I'm Claire! I'm a sophomore at Notre Dame majoring in psychology with minors in journalism and business economics. I'm from Peoria, Illinois (no, it's actually not a suburb of Chicago!) and if you know where that is, we're probably going to become best friends. I'm a self-proclaimed Starbucks addict, social media connoisseur, and a proud advocate of the (not so) occasional Netflix binge. I'm a proud Breen-Phillips Babe and so #blessed to be a part of the Notre Dame community. Go Irish!