This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As any of my friends can attest to, after the first day I started House of Cards, I watched it practically non-stop for the weeks that followed. I’m definitely a loyal fan of Netflix, but I am not usually one to binge watch shows like this. However, with House of Cards, I was so wholly invested in the plot line and the lives of the characters that I had to keep watching to find out what happened next.

I believe that one of the primary strengths of the show lies in its character development. The writers truly let you into the minds of the Underwoods, and leave viewers utterly captivated by the successes and misfortunes that take place in their lives. There are few things creepier than when Frank speaks directly to the camera, making it feel like he’s looking right at you. The writers really knew what they were doing with that extra touch.

Generally, it’s incredible that Frank Underwood has been able to work through the American political system so schematically, and is able to successfully work his way to the top. He is constantly one step ahead of everyone else – he anticipates people’s actions before they fulfill them, and can plant an idea in people’s minds while still convincing them that they came up with it themselves. He knows how to appeal to the weaknesses of his peers, and he exploits those weaknesses for his own personal gain. He chews people up and spits them back out, and accepts nothing less than total dedication and loyalty.

Despite the fact that Frank’s political endeavors are the central core of the show, Claire Underwood is truly one of my favorite characters. She is incredibly skilled at public relations and working within the political system, and she strives to maintain her own ambitions independent of her husband’s success. She never settles into the position of politician’s wife. Although she temporarily loses sight of her goals in the third season and succumbs to the tyrannical will of her devious husband, she finally stands up to him in the final episode of the season and finds the inner strength to walk away, an action that I believe merits considerable respect. Although she will probably go back to him in the fourth season for the sake of the continuation of the show, it is enough that she finally fought back and resolved to no longer tolerate his cruelty.

Most importantly, this show is so much more than just a source of mindless entertainment. It examines the complexities and inner workings of the American political system, and reveals the effect that the acquisition of power can have on a person, both personally and psychologically. I think that one of the creepiest parts of the show is how realistic it is – while some aspects of the plot are certainly exaggerated and not at all rooted in fact, a lot of the political scandal and manipulation that takes place could conceivably be happening in the American government right now. As a Political Science major, I am totally fascinated by the political processes that take place in this show. House of Cards offers you a glimpse into everything from foreign policy to UN proceedings, and from economic issues to social movements.

Towards the end of the third season, viewers are exposed to life on the campaign trail through Frank’s candidacy for a second term in the White House, shedding light on the extensive degree of thought and planning that goes into a presidential campaign. During Frank’s campaigning, everything from his word choice in a speech to Claire’s hair color is thoroughly analyzed, and the Underwoods, along with the help of their staff, are confronted with the task of creating an idealistic image of the power couple to project to the public sector. This process reveals how much of oneself must be sacrificed when holding a position in office, as well as how much of a person’s history and identity must be hidden behind closed doors when dealing with that much public attention.

Needless to say, I am eagerly anticipating the release of the 4th season, and I can hardly wait to find out what happens next in the Underwood political saga. Will Frank win the election? Is Claire really leaving Frank for good? What will be America’s future in this hypothetical (but frighteningly realistic) depiction of the world?

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6