Style

Halloween Week: Costumes Your Mom and Dad Will Approve Of

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

It’s that time of year…time to start panicking about a last-minute costume for the impending Halloween parties this weekend. This list is full of costumes that you can easily throw together and still feel comfortable sending to your parents.

Darla from “Finding Nemo”

If you are in college and have braces you absolutely have to do this costume–no questions asked. I’m sorry, I don’t make the rules. Even if you don’t, though, all you need to do is throw your hair in some super cute high pigtails and boom, you’re Darla. For those of us over 21, it would be cute to replace the classic bag of fish that Darla holds with a wine bag. Parents love wine…it’s classy!!

GoGo Dancers

This 60’s inspired costume is colorful, fun and super easy to throw together. All you need is a pair of patterned or flare pants, big earrings and fun sunglasses. You could maybe even throw in a choreographed dance??

Hermione Granger

Not only do you get to wear a cape for this one, but you also get to carry a wand and cast scary-sounding spells on people. If you’re a Harry Potter nerd like me, this costume is an opportunity to fulfill a lifelong dream and to see if your Hogwarts acceptance letter really did just get lost in the mail.

Baseball Player

This is one of the easiest costumes on this list as all you will need is a jersey of honestly any sport. Feel free to throw on a little eye black for an even sportier look. Rep your hometown–your parents will be especially proud of this one.

Lion

If you have ever dreamed of wearing an all-beige outfit, this is your chance. Grab a small curling wand and get that hair as voluminous as possible.

Frat Boy

Notre Dame may not have fraternities but we know what a college frat boy looks like nonetheless. All you need is an oversized button down shirt, a pair of boxer shorts and a baseball hat. The overall flowiness of this one makes it extra appealing.

Unicorn

SPARKLES!! That’s literally the only thing you need for this look. They may never come off of your body, but honestly that’s a plus.

Phases of Taylor Swift

If you and your squad are all at a loss for costumes, this is a creative idea, especially if any of you are blonde. From country to pop to just plain angst, Taylor Swift has covered a wide range of music genres and with them, different fashion styles. You and your friends can each choose a different music video and replicate her looks.

Wednesday Addams

Talk about conservative, this is absolutely the right look if you’re looking for spooky yet minimalistic. This character from “The Addams Family” dons a black, long-sleeved dress and iconic pigtail braids. Your parents will both appreciate the nod to this show and the high rise collar that the dress features. 

Hippie

Much like the gogo dancers costume, this look involves any patterned or flare pants and a flowy shirt but has the added bonus of being able to throw up a peace sign without being judged.

I hope these ideas help those of you still looking for an epic costume. Happy Halloween!!

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Katie Malik

Notre Dame '21

I am a junior at the University of Notre Dame from Cleveland majoring in Political Science and Economics. I love running, Cleveland sports, and Christmas Hallmark movies.