Get Sports Savvy: The Top Three Websites to Feed Your Sporty Intellect

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

The realm of sports is a truly captivating facet of our modern-day society. Being at the University of Notre Dame, where sports take on a whole new level of significance, has undoubtedly opened up my eyes to this very fact. Just glance around campus and you will notice someone sporting his or her favorite player’s basketball jersey or rocking his or her favorite baseball team’s cap. Even I’m guilty of donning ESPN shirts or my most coveted Notre Dame #10 Brady Quinn jersey to class. Sports seem to encompass a substantial portion of peoples’ lives, and I’ve recently come to the realization that they have completely devoured my own.

Don’t mistake my affinity for sports as just being a fan, though. I’m not your average couch potato sports junkie who lies around watching ESPN 24/7 (although there are plenty of days when I wish I could do just that). Rather, I prefer to refer to myself as a sports analyst. What do I mean by this? I mean someone who not only watches various sporting events, but also researches players, analyzes stats, and thoroughly reads a variety of blogs or articles highlighting certain teams, players, and major stories going on in the sporting world.

That being said, I don’t expect everyone in the world to be as crazy about sports as myself, but if you’re seeking to develop your cranium and engage your mind in a sporty and intellectual manner, look no further than here. Below are three of my absolute favorite websites to visit when I’m looking to fuel the sporty side of my brain.

1.      Grantland 
(My personal favorite)

I really just cannot say enough wonderful things about this website. Grantland is an affiliated website with ESPN.com. Bill Simmons, Grantland’s editor-in-chief, is an absolutely phenomenal writer, offering incredibly well written pieces that go beyond the surface of every story. Various other individuals contribute in the form of blog posts and/or articles for Grantland as well. The highbrow, sophisticated style of Grantland gives readers a different perspective on each story than a normal sports article would. For example, the first Grantland article I ever read discussed Boston Celtics point-guard Rajon Rondo’s season ending torn ACL. Rather than briefing readers on how he became injured and all the basic information, the article explored the effects of Rondo’s injury, mentioning whether playoffs were still a possibility or whether future trade deals would be in the works. Overall, Grantland offers readers more thought-provoking pieces and I highly suggest you check it out if not only for the stories, but for the intricate writing style.

2.      Deadspin

We’ve all heard the name Deadspin in the news before (ahem, Manti Teo…). However, despite giving us Domers breaking news that we didn’t necessarily want to hear, Deadspin is another great website that I tend to peruse.  Deadspin is best known for its story leaks and breaking various news stories in sports. Deadspin’s style of writing is different from Grantland, as its sports stories tend to have a more sarcastic, humorous, and sometimes critical tone. It offers a variety of game recaps and commentaries from each day’s sporting events and includes many videos. Check it out if you’re interested in a more casual and comical style of sports writing.

3.      Bleacher Report

For some odd reason, I always end up browsing articles on Bleacher Report, so I figured since it’s one of those sites that I go to often, it’s worth the mention. On this website, various sports journalists and bloggers cover almost every sport imaginable, including fantasy sports, such as fantasy football and fantasy baseball (if you are still confused as to what I’m talking about, look it up).  The main reason I love Bleacher Report is because each team for each sport has their own page filled with articles and blogs. Therefore, I recommend that you guy go here for specific Notre Dame related articles and blog posts. Articles feature a variety of writers and tend to be more opinionated, so there always interesting stories to read. Bleacher Report is worth the read and I give it a thumbs-up in regards to all the articles/blog posts pertaining to the Fighting Irish.

Have I crammed your cranium with enough sports yet? If not, there are tons of other great online sports news sources out there that I didn’t even mention, so please explore your options!

Get smart. Get savvy. Get sporty.

Happy readings, my newfound sports nerds!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.