Eating My Feelings: 3 Recipes to Survive Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Is it just me, or are there few things more abysmal than midterms week here at the University of Notre Dame?

Not only are students burdened with two to five midterms, tests of equal weight as some finals, but they also have to go to their regular classes, turn in regular problem sets, and maybe even suffer through some group presentations. It is ludicrous.

We have to somehow find the focus to do all this when the one thing on our minds is the upcoming night game against USC and week long break following.

After hours upon hours of studying, I shut down. In order to motivate myself to continue studying, I need to give myself a mental break.

These needs for mental breaks usually come around 10 p.m., which is coincidentally also when I find myself wanting a snack. It was in this coupling that I discovered the mental therapy that comes with baking. Cooking, getting up on my feet and using more of my hands and less of my brain, is very therapeutic and centering. The smell of fresh treats that follows is equally satisfying.

To those looking for 30 minutes of R&R this midterms week, try out one of these three sweet recipes that are my Pinterest favorites.

Funfetti Gooey Butter Cake

To those familiar with gooey butter cake (looking at you St. Louis girls), you know that this treat is the real deal. Different from lesser cakes, gooey butter cake is loaded with butter and powdered sugar in a way that is so delicious you wouldn’t imagine. If you have time for 10 minutes of prep work and the patience for 30 minutes of cook time, try out this recipe, courtesy of thespiffycookie.com.

Ingredients:

1 box Funfetti cake mix

4 eggs, room temperature

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted

1 tsp vanilla extract

8 oz. package cream cheese, room temperature

2-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:

1.   Place rack on the bottom third of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan, line with parchment paper leaving overhang, and grease the parchment paper. Set aside.

2.   In a large bowl, with a hand mixer on low speed mix together the cake mix, 2 of the eggs, butter, and vanilla until combined. Transfer mixture to the prepared pan and press evenly along the bottom of the pan and up the sides about 1/2 inch. Wipe off mixers and bowl.

3.   In the same bowl, on low speed mix together the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Add the remaining 2 eggs and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour on top of the crust and spread evenly. Top with rainbow sprinkles.

4.   Bake for 25-35 minutes or until set and golden. Allow to cool for two hours on a cooling rack before cutting and serving (speed up process by placing in the refrigerator once no longer oven-hot. Keep leftovers refrigerated.

Grilled Nutella & Marshmallow Sandwhich

This one requires little culinary expertise and is college-budget friendly. Though simple in design, it will be oe of the most satisfying things you ever cook.

Ingredients:

Nutella

Fluff (or actual marshmallows)

Bread

Margarine

Directions:

1.     Take two pieces of bread and lightly butter one side of each slice.

2.     Spread on your desired amount of Nutella and fluff onto the non-buttered sides of bread.

3.      Put the slices together and grill the sandwich, butter sides down.

4.      Enjoy!

Slutty Brownies

A fan favorite, the slutty brownie is sure to cheer up any student feeling down on midterms. Throw all of your stresses away and into this potluck of desserts in one. Recipe courtesy of thelondoner.com. Also, though not included in the recipe, I often like to remove the cookie dough and add in Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups in the middle (highly recommended).

Ingredients:

1 Box of cookie mix,

1 Box of brownie mix,

2 Eggs,

2 Packs of Oreos (double stuffed ones are even better if you can find them)

Some oil

Directions:

1.    Preheat your oven to 350F.

2.    Line a baking tray with grease proof paper.

3.    Follow the instructions on the cookie mix box & stir furiously until you have gooey cookie dough, I usually add a little extra water and oil to what they suggest, it just keeps it moist as you’ll be baking it for longer than suggested. An extra teaspoon of each is just right.

4.    Squidge (technical term) the cookie dough into a lined baking tray, until it covers the bottom.

5.    Cover this layer with your Oreos. Don’t use the broken ones, eat them as you go. This recipe is too glorious to use substandard Oreos.

6.    Mix up your brownie batter and pour over your Oreos.

7.    Bake for 30mins.

Domers: Try these recipes and make your brain, your stomach and all your friends very happy. Hopefully, these treats will offer you some relief from the treachery of exams and projects. And most of all, good luck this week ladies.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Kelly is a student at the University of Notre Dame studying marketing and journalism, originally hailing from the great city of Holland, Michigan. Kelly's academic and political interests focus in one gender inequality and wage inequality. Her future career interests, whether writing or marketing, are focused in the fashion and beauty industries. Kelly has worked with companies such as philosophy, which promote using the beauty industry as a means of empowerment, which she believes to be a very important lesson. For fun, Kelly finds her peace on the yoga mat and running the beach or the woods. She loves the outdoors and traveling, having already been to 8 countries. Along with writing, she lovs to sing, a performer on stage and most definitely in the shower. Kelly also is actively involved in event planning, another passion of hers. And above all she loves ice cream, pizza, her friends, and her two dogs.