Easter at ND: Services and Sundresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Last Thursday, students from all corners of the campus trekked across the quads to board the bus from the bookstore or meet their family at Main Circle. Yet as the dust settled on an empty campus, those remaining got accustomed to the eerie silence. From weird dining hall hours to a multitude of Easter services, spending the short break at Notre Dame is something I would recommend for everyone to put on their college bucket list. It might not be the same as spending the holiday with your family, but the Notre Dame community puts on a good show. 

Dining Hall Dash 

One of the biggest struggles of staying on campus during breaks is the weird dining hall hours. For those poor North Quad students, the long trek to South Dining Hall seemed impossible. Others found themselves sprinting in panic after learning that dinner hours were almost over. But for those who made the journey, rewards abounded. Cut strawberries, lobster quesadillas and shorter lines awaited inside. For Easter brunch, ice sculptures and chocolate treats decorated the hall. Although some were filled with incredible sadness at the discovery that Taco Bell in LaFun was closed or that Reckers was no longer open twenty four hours, the culinary staff really pulled out the best for those missing home cooking. 

An Excellent Easter

One could expect nothing less than utter excellence from the Basilica on such an important occasion in the Church. Starting on Thursday with the Tenebrae and concluding with student mass on Sunday, the Basilica was gorgeous from beginning to end. The Catholic tradition is strong on campus, with the faithful lining up outside for hours beforehand. This sort of dedication was necessary: those hoping to simply walk into the services right before found themselves standing in the back. Despite the packed pews and the tired legs, the variety of services and opportunities for celebration were awe-inspiring. And the continual sounding of the Basilica bells was a beautiful addition to the sunny days. 

South Bend Sunshine

Speaking of sunny days, the weather this weekend was incredible to say the least. Hitting 63 degrees on Easter, South Bend put on its Sunday best for the students who stuck around. After mass, students and families alike hit the quads for a friendly game of soccer, to take group pictures or to bask in the warmth. The lakes were crowded with runners. Despite the smaller numbers of students, the campus seemed full as all funneled out into the open air. 

Relaxation and Rest

With all the activity around campus, there was still a sense of calm in the dorms and among the student body. No rush on homework, no big exams, no stress. The halls were quiet… almost too quiet. Instead there was binge-watching, frisbee, trips to the mall and time with friends. All the best parts of college without the struggles of coursework. Whether you wanted to blast music in your room or enjoy the silence, there was freedom without fear of bothering your neighbors. 

Whatever your Easter weekend looked like, hope it was a happy one! XOXOXO HCND

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!. 

Images: 1, 4 (provided by Emily Salerno), 5 (provided by Jackie Brebeck), all others provided by author

Hi everyone, I'm Margaret! I'm a sophmore in Cavanaugh Hall (embrace the Chaos) and I'm majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Science, Technology and Values. I'm from Falmouth, Maine where I work for a company that makes really awesome bags and purses from old boat sails. In my spare time, I love to dance, read, and binge watch series on Netflix. I also pride myself on my skills as a foodie, so if any one knows of places to get good grub around South Bend, I'd love to hear about them! Notre Dame has been my dream school practically since birth and I still haven't come down from cloud-nine yet despite the struggles of Organic Chemistry- here's hoping that feeling never goes away!