kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Early Bird Gets the Worm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

This is an expression most of us have heard before. While it can be used literally, it can also be the motivation you need to kick-off your day. I have always been a morning person–I enjoy the calm of morning and feel like being awake early allows me to get a heastart on my day. However, I understand that not everyone is like this. Here are some tips that help me feel energized in the morning and can be beneficial to both early birds and those who gravitate towards staying in bed.

Do not snooze your alarm In “The Negative Impact of Hitting the Snooze Button,” MaryGrace Taylor writes “When your alarm goes off in the morning, you’re usually near the end of your last REM cycle. Wake up and get yourself out of bed, and the REM cycle ends. Hit the snooze button and go back to sleep, though, you throw yourself right back into REM cycle.” Therefore, it is wiser to get out of bed the first time to avoid being woken up in the middle of REM sleep and feeling groggy.

Exercise Although it can be difficult to motivate yourself to exercise when all you want to do is cozy up in bed, I feel quite energized after I work out. In addition, I know I have accomplished something before I even go to class. This helps me to feel extra productive throughout the day.

Get a breath of fresh air Taking a few moments to collect yourself can help redirect your focus during the day. Plus, it is easier to get out of bed knowing you get to spend time in the beautiful outdoors. I am a huge fan of walking or running outside as the sun begins to rise.

Shower Unless you are a nighttime-shower fanatic, showering in the morning can give you the clean and fresh vibe you need to tackle the day.

Remember the health benefits VeryWellHealth explains that circadian rhythms dpend on consistency and that “Anchoring your wake time in a place is a cue to your body about when you should be awake and when you should be asleep.” If you are used to waking up in the morning for weekday classes, then you should consider waking up at the same time on weekends.

So, the next time you set your alarm or are considering getting some extra sleep in the morning, keep these tips in mind to help your physical and mental health. Plus, you might find that you have more time throughout the day–the early bird does indeed get the worm.

Image 1, 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism