Dress Like an Olympian Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

With the Sochi games a mere three weeks away, it’s time once again for everyone’s favorite brand of sports-related sartorialism: the fashion of the Olympic games. There’s the frumpy patriotism of the opening ceremonies, the dazzling bling of the medal stand, and, in the winter games, the parade of childhood glitter-dreams materialized that is the figure skater closet.

Olympic fashion, however, isn’t just for the athletes. Your favorite Olympic moments can be captured in your own wardrobe this winter with the following looks.

Remember Kristi Yamaguchi’s 1992 gold in women’s singles figure skating?

The rhinestones may be a little much for daily life, but that needn’t stop you from appropriating Yamaguchi’s style with looks like this one, available for $59 from ASOS.

If victories from this century are more your style, how about Michelle Kwan’s comeback gold at the 2003 Worlds?

Channel that championship spirit at your next SYR with this River Island frock.

Of course, channeling the flashiness of ice dancing won’t work in the wardrobe of every Collegiette. For a more toned-down Olympic look, Ralph Lauren’s all-American creations for the Sochi opening ceremonies are a great inspiration.

You can technically buy yourself a Team USA pea coat if you’ve got an extra $800 lying around.

But I’d recommend this alternative, on sale for only $157 from Scotch & Soda.

And Mr. Lauren made it almost too easy to recreate his Olympic looks by including this winter classic in the collection.

You can dress exactly like the US Olympians today with this sweater from ASOS, whose $45 price tag rings in at one-tenth the price of the Olympic issue gear.

For a more tongue-in-cheek stylistic homage to the Olympic games, of course, you can always draw inspiration from the classic how-is-this-real Olympic sport, skeleton, with items like this tank (only $24) from Urban Outfitters.

Finally, in Olympics season as in every season, you can never go wrong when you dress like you’re going for the gold. And with this skirt from Nasty Gal, you can just be the gold yourself.

Have fun dressing like Olympians today, ladies. Go world. 

Photos 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Sarah is a senior at the University of Notre Dame pursuing majors in English and American Studies. After graduation, she hopes to somehow finagle her way into a career in journalism. She enjoys whistling and Stanley Tucci and hates all forms of bees.