Divergent: Not as Good as the Book

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I love novels. Specifically, I love teenage romance novels. Even more specifically, I love teenage dystopian romance novels. That’s why when I saw Divergent at the bookstore I freaked out, and read it in one sitting. If you haven’t read the book, stop whatever you’re doing and go read it. Well you can finish my article to get pumped about reading it. And if you are doing something really important like taking a test or saving a life, keep doing that. In fact, stop reading this if you are doing either of those things.

So to say I was excited about the movie is a little bit of an understatement. I nerded out a little bit (a lot) when I saw the trailer, and headed to the first possible showing. I love seeing movie depictions of my favorite books, and always think it was the most amazing movie I have ever seen until I have a couple of minutes (or hours) to get past my excitement and actually think about how the movie was.

I really did like Divergent. It was not as good as the book, but when does that ever happen. Hunger Games was really freaking good, but was it as good as the book? We may never have an answer to that question. That being said, Divergent had its flaws (special effects were not too special, acting was questionable at times, plot changes, etc), but overall it was a really enjoyable movie. Here are the reasons I liked it so much.

1. The love interest: Four, played by the actor Theo James.

I think this speaks for itself.

2. The portrayal of the Dauntless faction.

They’re so badass! I want to be Dauntless, if it didn’t involve so much cardio and bravery. Mostly I just want to wear the cool black clothes.

3. Kate Winslet as Jeanine Matthews.

She’s so evil, it’s excellent.

4. Shots of post-apocalyptic Chicago.

What would Notre Dame students do for culture? No more Bean pictures on Facebook? It would be a tragedy.

5. Tobias Eaton

Oops, did I mention him already? I thought maybe if I said his other name I could get away with it. Here’s some pictures of him and Shailene Woodley (Tris) being adorable.

I could probably give you 10 more pictures of Theo James to gaze at, but it’s much better to see him on the big screen. So choose Divergent as your next movie to go to!

Image Locations:
1234,5