Cirque du PFresh: Freakishly Fantastic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

As a member of one of the many dance companies on campus, I can testify that there are an incredible number of talent and varied companies at Notre Dame. In addition to this diversity, there are a remarkable number of shows that exemplify what Notre Dame stands for: skill enhancement and service to the community.

While we have many dance shows on campus that benefit charity and display the amazing talents of many of our students, I wanted to take a moment to discuss the wonderful performance that Project Fresh, Notre Dame’s famous hip-hop dance company, hosts every year.

Project Fresh puts on a showcase and dance competition every spring, inviting all of Notre Dames dance companies to perform and compete for charity. Troop ND, Ballroom, Swing, TransPose [dance collective], First Class Steppers, and Dance Africa are just a handful of the companies represented at this year’s showcase. While the majority of the competitors were ND/SMC clubs, Mark O’Dea competed independently, performing an awe-inspireing firebending routine. 

Mark O’Dea performing his firebending act to the music of “Burn” by Ellie Goulding

While a large portion of show consisted of invited companies, Project Fresh performed many of its own pieces throughout the entirety of the show.  Every year Project Fresh picks a theme for its show, and this year’s was “Cirque du PFresh.” While invited performers were not required to relate their dances to the show’s theme, Project Fresh’s multiple “sets” maintained a creative unity throughout the show.

There are two primary reasons why I absolutely love the Project Fresh show. Firstly, I love that Project Fresh welcomes so many companies with different styles to perform together in one show for a large audience. This year’s audience was so large they ran out of printed tickets! Moreover, the Project Fresh show really gives student dance companies the opportunity to display their talent and what makes them unique in the performing arts community. Second, I admire how the Project Fresh show fosters healthy competition in the name of supporting amazing charities. Competing performers can pick their own charity and two winners are selected before Project Fresh’s closing set.  The proceeds from the show’s ticket sales are given to the chosen charity of the winners of the judges’ choice and audience choice awards. The show’s conjunction of competition and fundraising serves affirms the caring values of the Notre Dame community, no matter what the event.

TransPose [dance collective] performing to the music of “Say Something” by Pentatonix

Before Project Fresh performed its closing set, Kat Von Vleet (Assistant Manager at Washington Hall and emcee of “Cirque du PFresh”) announced the competition’s winners. The judges’ choice winner was TransPose [dance collective], a beautiful modern and lyrical company. They performed three separate pieces, one competition and two exhibition, and the effort and energy were extremely palpable in all pieces. The audience choice winner was Mark O’Dea, the impressive firebender. His individual performance demonstrated talent in a way that no other performance could have conceived.  Everybody did an amazing job and the show was a sight to see.  Stepan Center was never so energetic.

Project Fresh performing one of its sets

Project Fresh hosts arguably one of the most anticipated dance shows of the school year. With this summary of the events of this spring, I hope I convinced you to consider checking out next year’s show. Bear in mind, tickets sell out (which is fantastic and beautiful—more money for those in need). You’ll thank me later for such an early notice.

Photos from the show can be found here.

For more campus news and entertainment, like HCND on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!

Photos by Annabel Aman

My name is Meghan!  I'm a junior undergraduate student at the University of Notre Dame.  More shocking than not, I come from Ann Arbor, MI—home of the Wolverines!  I'm an avid dancer and a complete music nut.  I come from a big family of six kids and have three dogs and two cats, because bigger is better.