This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

There are several awesome things about summer, such as longer days and warmer weather. However, the seasonal change can also wreak havoc on your curls if you’re not careful. Below are some products and tips to help you care for your locks during the sunlit season.

1.  Try hair sunscreen.

About 99.9% (note: statistics may not be accurate) of your curly hair problems will be solved if you keep it well-moisturized. In fact, lack of moisture is a leading cause of frizzy, coarse, gravity-defying curls. However there is hope: it’s called hair sunscreen, and yes, it’s a thing. Sure, it seems like you should reach for a leave-in conditioner instead of sunscreen to solve your dry-hair needs, but the benefits hair sunscreen may surprise you. The sun bleaches most hair pigments, meaning that the rays will also dry out your strands. Hair sunscreen will protect your hair from the harmful effects of the sun, while simultaneously locking in moisture. And if your curls are colored, it will also help you maintain your color for a longer time. It’s a win-win solution!

2.  Invest in a silk hair scarf.

You may have seen hair scarves in several sixties-themed movies (The Help, anyone?), but their seemingly dated mainstream use should not deter you. Hair scarves will protect your hair and keep your hairstyle intact no matter how strong the summer breeze. The silk material will also help reduce the friction between your curls, resulting in a less fuzzy hairstyle. To top it all off, silk hair scarves can be styled several ways in your hair, making it a versatile and fashionable option. Anything made from silk can be a bit expensive, but hair scarves are definitely worth the price. Keep hair scarves in mind when styling your hair for an outing.

3.  Chill out, literally.

The heat of summer probably won’t deter you from taking a hot shower, but you should turn the knob to the cold side at the end of each shower. The cold water will help seal the cuticles in your hair, making it more shiny and resistant to humidity. In a similar way, Lorraine Massey, author of Curly Girl, recommends putting your hair products in the fridge while you take a shower. By the time you are done, the products will be chilled enough to help close the cuticle and lock in shine and moisture.

4.  Relax (It’s not what you’re thinking).

No, this is not a suggestion to relax your curls (but if you want to, go for it; it’s your hair). It is, however, a suggestion to relax your scalp by massaging it. Several sources, including Curly Girl, agree that scalp massages help stimulate hair growth. When you massage your head, you promote blood flow to your scalp, which can help your curls grow if you do it enough. To help your curls grow long and strong, be sure to take some time out of your summer to relax.

5.  Consider your options.

Summer is a perfect time to experiment with your curls, since you will have a lot of downtime to style it before going out in public. If you want to try a new, daring hairstyle, meet with a stylist that specializes in curls, and get it done!  If you want to do a little testing before you commit your curls to anything, you can try temporary products like hair chalk or faux-bobs. After all, you have an entire summer to perfect your new ‘do!

You may be temporarily done with school, but curls never really take a break. It’s important to care for your curls during the summer, so that your hair will be in excellent shape (pun intended) for the fall. Happy styling!

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rrogalsk@nd.edu or Katrina Linden at klinden1@nd.edu.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Sources: 1, 2

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

¡Hola! I'm Victoria Erdel, a sophomore Sociology major and TESOL minor at the University of Notre Dame. I've lived in Portugal and Indiana, and I occasionally visit my family in Ecuador. I can't wait to expand my interests in college. I enjoy writing (obviously), reading, and eating.  Go Irish!