Campus Cutie: Irish Bachelorette Edition – Brian Bertsche ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

While this wasn’t his television debut (he was in a national commercial this summer!), Brian Bertsche was a top contender on this inaugural season of the Irish Bachelorette. The sophomore from Morrissey made it to the final three, but was the first to say goodbye in Monday night’s finale of the NDTv original.

Year: 2016

Dorm: Morrissey

Major? Econ and Pre-Med

Hometown: Evanston, IL

What do you do around campus? I’m involved in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program. I spend a lot of time with my little brother, Brandon. I’m on the women’s basketball practice team. I do interhall sports and I’m Morrissey’s interhall commissioner. I play pick up ball at the Rock sometimes.

Relationship status: Single

Who are you? I’m generally a fun guy, somewhat laid back. I work hard but play hard, too.

What does it mean to be a domer? I think of it as more than just going to a certain school. It’s the community, it’s the friendships and relationships. You don’t find that at other places.

What is your favorite ND memory so far? Either the Stanford game or National Championship game last year. But around campus, the Polar Bear Plunge is great.

What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list? I do want to complete the Hesburgh Challenge.

What are the best and worst things about ND? The best are the friendships and atmosphere around campus, the school spirit. The worst are sometimes people are a little too driven, and parietals.

If you could change one thing about Notre Dame, what would it be? I want students to be more open-minded and accepting of ideas that aren’t as common. I feel that sometimes people are scared to be who they are because there is so much of the same mentality on campus.

What’s the best class you’ve taken at ND? I love organic chemistry! Lab and class are so great! (#sarcasm)

What’s your favorite spot on campus? I love the area around the lakes; it’s a really nice, pretty area. And of course, the Grotto. I also spend a lot of time on the 9th floor of the library.

What did you think you were going to do when you came in as a freshman? Pretty much where I’m at now. I haven’t changed my major… I didn’t have any preset ideas about activities.

Favorite Domer – dead, alive, or fictional? My dad. He’s a great guy; if I’m half the guy he is, then I did something right.

What do you wish ND girls knew? I wish they were a little less awkward, a little more friendly and outgoing sometimes. Not individually and not all of them, but just as a whole. 

What do you wish you knew about ND girls? What’s going through their head at any time. It’s like trying to read a closed book.

If you could go back to freshman year and tell yourself one thing you know now, what would it be? Staying in to study on the weekend isn’t the end of the world, but you have to know when to go out and have fun. Finding a better balance to that.

Ideal academic and professional endgame? I’d like to be a surgeon – go to med school, do the whole “become a doctor thing.”

In 25 years you will be… married with a wife and family, living somewhere nice and pleasant, somewhere nice to raise a family.

Tell me a little known fact about yourself. I got nothing… I can wiggle my ears.

Guilty pleasure band? I really like Lana Del Ray.

Signature drink? 312 (A local Chicago brew, huzzah!)

Why did you initially audition for the Irish Bachelorette? It sounded like it’d be fun to do. Morrissey needed a representative so I volunteered and ended up having a good time with it.

What was your reaction to meeting Kirsten for the first time? She seemed nice enough, very pretty. But, the first time we all met her was pretty awkward and uncomfortable.

Did you know any of the other guys? I knew Agustin. (Didn’t necessarily like him…)

How did you feel about the dynamic of the group? Overall, it was a good group of guys. We hung out once before one of the shootings and I enjoyed hanging out with those guys.

What were your feelings about the time you spent with Kirsten? I didn’t talk to her very much because I didn’t go on any one-on-one dates. I was generally more invested in the activity and the competition than getting to know her. The one time we had a three-on-one date, it was enjoyable. It wasn’t all bad.

How did you feel about getting cut from the show? Was it a shock or did you expect it? What do you think led to it? I was a little surprised. I thought I was going to make the final two, but there was a rumor she had chosen the winner beforehand. I did think it was going to come down to me and one of the other guys. The “home visit” to Morrissey was a little awkward. My friends were a little awkward to hang out with and that could have led to it.

Who were you rooting for to win once you left the show? Zach

If given another shot, what would you do differently? I would probably try and go out of my way to talk to Kirsten more. Spend less time hanging out with the bros and more time focused on getting to know her.

What do you wish you knew going into the show? I feel like I had a pretty good idea going in what to expect. I wish she had kept some of the characters around a little longer. I was sad to see some of those guys go.

Was it what you expected? Yeah, pretty much. I kind of went in expecting to win.

What do you anticipate for your love life going forward? No changes, really. I think some people have recognized me through the show but nothing to the point where it is affecting my love life.

Was the experience worth it? Yeah, it was. We had a good time shooting it. It was fun. I would never do an Irish Bachelor, though! But it was definitely fun to get out there and meet some new guys from around campus. 

Thanks, Brian!

HCNDxo

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!