Campus Celebrity Abroad: Kelsey Birsic, ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Meet one of our fabulous HCND Sports Editors! My lovely and talented friend, Kelsey, shared some insights on studying abroad and Notre Dame life in general! She adores living in the shadow of Big Ben, balancing the pubs and schoolwork, and keeping up with her overall brilliant appearance as a marketing major!

Name: Kelsey Birsic

Year: Junior

Hometown: Wexford, PA

Dorm: Welsh Family

Major: Marketing

Abroad Program: Fall 2013 London Undergraduate Program (LUP)

NDH/SDH: SDH all the way!

Campus Activities: Student on Event Marketing Team for ND Athletics, Welsh Fam Brother/Sister Commissioner, Member of SIBC, Appalachia Spring Break 2012 Site Leader

If you could go back to freshman year and tell yourself one thing you know now, what would it be? 

That things are going to fly by so unbelievably fast. Relish in every memory. Take more pictures. Don’t worry if you don’t find your “best friends” in the first month at ND – you’ll find them eventually and they will become your family. 

What is your best ND memory so far?

Jumping in the lakes with my best friends at midnight during finals week spring semester of freshmen year. 

What is the most played song on your iPod right now?

Overall, “Why Georgia” by John Mayer is the all time favorite. Recently, “Countdown” by Beyonce has been my serious jam.

What is a little known fact about you?

I was babysat by Ben Affleck when I was six.

Who is your celebrity crush?

John Krasinski (that boy is mighty charming.)

What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Headstrong. Kind. Adventurous. 

What’s your favorite movie quote?

“Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion’s starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don’t see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often, it’s not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it’s always there … If you look for it, I’ve got a sneaky feeling you’ll find that love actually is all around.”- Love Actually

What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list?

Stealing a university golf cart.

How have you changed since you’ve been abroad? 

I’m more confident in my abilities and appreciate my parents and friends more. I’m more intimately aware of the many opportunities available in this world and just how profoundly special Notre Dame truly is.  

What is your favorite part about studying abroad so far? 

Getting to explore the UK, let alone the European Continent, with my best friend and to make awesome new friends along the way. 

Tips for those considering study abroad?

Don’t pack as much stuff as you think you “need.” Start saving now. Be open to new experiences. Take advantage of all the things available to you while abroad. Don’t be afraid if the first few days are totally overwhelming – you’ll get over it and start having a blast!

Thanks, Kelsey! HCNDxo

Photos provided by Kelsey

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!