Campus Celeb: HCND Graduate Edition! – Katherine Dudas ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Maybe you’ve seen her on stage, maybe you’ve read her blog, maybe you’ve passed her wandering around Bond Quad or DPAC – in any case, get used to seeing this Her Campus soon-to-be graduate around, because she is bound for big things! Katherine Dudas, hailing from New Jersey, seems to have it all together what with the graduating a year early and getting a head start on life. HCND is so greatful this lovely lady had a moment to answer all of our questions about Katherine, her ND experience, and why she thinks HCND is worth the read! 

About Katherine!

Name: Katherine Dudas

Year: 2014

Hometown: Wyckoff, NJ

Dorm Allegiance: Uh…the co-ed one.

Major: FTT with a theatre concentration #jobsecurity

NDH/SDH: The half eaten peanut butter jar next to my sink.

Campus Activities: Acting in plays. Producing plays. Slipping on that one spot on the pathway leading into Bond Quad every time it rains.

What is the most played song on your iPod right now? The Story of My Lif- I mean, Into the Fire from The Scarlett Pimpernel. That was close.

What is a little known fact about you? There is a half eaten peanut butter jar next to my sink.

Who is your celebrity crush? A Benedict Cumberbatch/Beyoncé hybrid. Let me know if you ever see one. Please.

What three words would you use to describe yourself? Beautiful, Pretty, Beautiful.

What’s your favorite movie quote? “No, YOU’RE the slut, slut!”- Casablanca

Who would play you in a movie about your life?  In all seriousness, Will Smith.

Katherine and ND

If you could go back to freshman year and tell yourself one thing you know now, what would it be? If it is really cold out, or if you don’t feel like going, skip the football game.  You don’t even like football, who are you fooling? Also throw out that shirt, it’s old and unflattering. Yes, that shirt. No, I am not kidding.

What did you think you were going to do when you came in as a freshman? Not like beer. Now, I do like beer.

It’s crunch time! What is the #1 item on your ND bucket list that you still want to complete before graduation? The Hesburgh Challenge. Which I think is carrying Father Hesburgh up all the flights of stairs in the library. Wait, does the library have stairs? I changed my mind, it’s finding out if the library has stairs that go past the second floor.

What is your best ND memory? Just, making theatre with amazing people. Doing plays like She, God of Carnage, and writing and producing The Demise of the Downtown Bar Scene with my best friend. The times in rehearsals when nothing is getting done and people are just laughing.

What are the best and worst things about ND?

Best: The people. Which is so lame and broad to say, so to be specific, my favorite people.

Worst: Parietals. I’m not even being dramatic, guys. Parietals.

If you could change one thing about Notre Dame, what would it be?

Yeah, parietals. This isn’t because “Oh I have a boyfriend and I want him in my room like, all the time” it’s because I honestly believe parietals create unhealthy gender relations and try to emphasize certain differences between men and women that I do not believe are inherently there.  Get rid of them. Now.

Best class you’ve taken/professor you’ve had at ND:

Acting: Character. My favorite acting class, I got so much out of it.  Siiri Scott is also a fantastic teacher and tells me when I’m being the worst.

Favorite spot on campus:

I love Bond Quad.  I think it’s underrated. And there’s a tree there that my friend and I call our “Rory tree” because of an episode in Gilmore Girls and yeah I’ll stop typing now.

Favorite Domer – dead, alive, or fictional?

My mom and dad because they’re sponsoring this message.

In 25 years you will be…

Praying that Tina Fey does not die before I get to touch her.

When did you realize you would be able to graduate in 2014 instead of 2015?

Fall of sophomore year. It was more that I realized graduating early was vaguely possible if I worked really hard and didn’t sleep. So I did that and who are you again? Where am I?

What is the best part about graduating early? Worst?

Best Part: It made me really appreciate this year and the people I love here. I’m also super ready and excited to start pursuing my terribly impossible dreams.

Worst Part: I really like the spicy corn that is sometimes in SDH. Like, I really like it.

What are you going to miss the most about ND?

The theatre folk. Honestly, they are the best. And the many people here who inspire me and make me laugh. Also, just being able to go to LaFun and see all the people I love milling about and procrastinating.

Katherine Joins the HCND Clique

What is your role in Her Campus ND?

I’m a writer! I write things.

How did you first hear about HCND?

I saw an article on Facebook and was very interested. So I emailed one of the editors who went to my high school (AnnaLee) and asked if I could be really annoying and write an article for the website.

Why did you want to get involved in HCND?

I got really into writing funny/kind- of-funny blogs this summer and got nice feedback. I have a lot of opinions about what’s going on socially in the world and a love of parentheses (which I use a lot. [I mean, not that much] {just from time to time}]) When I found out I could be a part of a community of girls who also like subjecting the world to their ideas, I wanted in.

What HCND article was your favorite? 

Is this the point where I start getting super conceited? Or did we hit that point? No, honestly, I love the articles ND girls put out. We have such creative, talented, and articulate writers on the team that most times I’m hesitate to write about something that happened on campus because I’m convinced another writer could do it so much more coherently. So all of them. ALL OF THEM.

What is the best part of working with HCND?

The best part was getting feedback from people who really connected with an article I wrote. I write about feminism and body issues a lot so whenever people FB message me with a “Yes, I agree! Thank you!” it’s always really nice.

What’s your personal next step?

Gonna keep writing. I just finished writing and producing a play with my friend so we’re going to do rewrites and start sending it to festivals.

How has being a part of HCND impacted you?

It’s taught me that I have something to say that is universal and I shouldn’t stifle that voice.  I’ll graduate feeling like I should keep trying get my words out there because there is always that small chance it could make someone feel less alone.  Or, just to keep trying to make people laugh with the help of appropriately placed gifs.

What would you like to see from the chapter in the future?

Unapologetic honesty.  Notre Dame women are kick ass, especially when they let themselves say what they feel.

What advice do you have for someone looking to get involved in HCND?

Do it. Be controversial with your stuff. And use a lot of gifs when you don’t know what else to say. A shit ton of gifs.

You’re about to graduate from the University of Notre Dame. Congratulations! Last thoughts?

Thanks! I’m so grateful I got to a part of HerCampus. It will definitely be a thing I miss next year. 

Also, if I die within the next five years, please, do NOT commemorate my death with like, a formal ceremony in front of the dome or something. If you want to honor me, go to the Lafun candy wall and eat all of the gummy worms and 10 of the cherry gummies. Much thanks.

Thanks so much for your time! 

xoHCND

Pictures provided by interviewee 

Follow HCND on Twitter and like us on Facebook

Sara Spitt

Notre Dame

Meet HCND's current Campus Coordinator and Editor-in-Chief! Originally from outside of Chicago, Sara is a Senior Peace Studies, Theology, and Italian major at Notre Dame (yes, that is three majors; no, she doesn't have any free time). When she isn't painting her nails, Sara enjoys cooking vegetarian friendly dishes, taking pictures for The Dome yearbook, and reading for fun. Sara began writing for Her Campus Notre Dame in May of 2013 and quickly fell in love with the site and it's staff! After writing for the inagural editorial staff (shout-out to AnnaLee, Katie, and Lex!) for a semester, Sara decided to branch out and become an editor. She particularly enjoys doing interviews and sharing travel expereinces, as well as connecting with the HCND reader network through thought-provoking social commentaries. If you like what you read from her on a weekly basis, this self-proclaimed "Queen of Social Media" has several accounts for you to follow - twitter, instagram (@saraspit22), tumblr, and a blog!